Modding the Benz Micro PP1 T9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Benz Lukaschek T8 Phono stage, which I modified. I replaced the standard power brick with a heavy duty toroidal transformer, which brought significant improvements across the sound spectrum. I also removed the stock diodes and replaced them with high quality HEXFREDS. The switch to HEXFREDs made a huge difference to the sound. My amp now sounds vastly better than stock; in fact, it sounds like a different amp. Dynamics are improved, bass is more extended and rounder, the mid range is smoother and so are the highs. There is better definition all across the sound spectrum. The amp now sounds effortless. I highly recommend these changes to the Lukaschek; however, switching out the stock diodes for HEXFREDS is tricky.

Hi vintageaxeman:

I can't remember the voltage for the toroidal transformer I used (I did this way back in 2003). Just get a voltmeter and measure the AC voltage of the stock Lukaschek's transformer, which plugs into the unit. The external power supply is simply a cheap transformer, so there is no conversion to DC. Replacing the cheap, stock transformer with a high quality toroidal will improve the sound, but not dramatically. I used a Hammond toroidal. Just make sure that you measure the output of the stock Lukaschek transformer properly.

Lukaschek Toroidal Transormer

Hi vintageaxeman:

I can't remember the voltage for the toroidal transformer I used (I did this way back in 2003). Just get a voltmeter and measure the AC voltage of the stock Lukaschek's transformer, which plugs into the unit. The external power supply is simply a transformer, so there is no conversion to DC. Replacing the cheap, stock transformer with a high quality toroidal will improve the sound, but not dramatically. I used a Hammond toroidal. Just make sure that you measure the output of the stock Lukaschek transformer properly, so you buy the correct toroidal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.