Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII

I have put it off long enough. I bent the armboard back. It worked out great and now I am onto final run in of my rebuilt motor. I sent my main spindle down to Woodsong audio for refurb a while back. I will post my results once I get to test it out. It has new bearings, ball and thrust plate. It looks great! I will post pictures soon. My computer is old and I can not access Diyaudio on it anymore. I found a tablet but it takes a long time to type with it. Also do not know how to post a pic yet with it.
M

Here is pic of my plinth. It needs a bit of work. May try making my own veneer. It is four layers of 25mm Baltic birch plywood.
M

Attachments

• 1547701480155299831571.jpg
    1547701480155299831571.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 460
I'm in the process of inspecting the upper platter for flatness, as well as inspecting the clutch mechanism. The upper platter appears to be out by 1 mm or less. The clutch mechanism seems a little torqued.

I've observed from the beginning that the three areas that lift the upper platter each seem to lay a little differently when disengaged. The one on the right in particular does not lay parallel to the upper platter. It also contacts the upper platter when engaged at one point rather than throughout the full length of the tab.

My question is, would you expect the clutch mechanism, when removed, to lay flat? Mine definitely does not.

TD124platterbrgsection_3.gif

Mouse click this image.

On the subject of TD124 platter systems, here are a couple of section views that may add perspective on the challenge in getting a true running upper platter.

TD124platterbrgsection_11.gif

Mouse click this image.

with regard to the clutch operation it is the thin bottom edge of that upper platter that provides the contact area that the lever must engage/disengage.

-Steve

Last edited:
I successfully adjusted the clutch and came to understand how it operates when I first restored my TD124/II several years ago. I adjusted the clutch a second time when I swapped out the zamac platter for an iron platter. On both occasions it seemed to me that the window of proper adjustment seemed extremely narrow. I noted that the upper platter was out but only by around .5mm or less. I thought this likely contributed to the narrow clutch adjustment window, but I wasn't sure I was ready to, or that it was worth an attempt on my part to straighten the platter.

Further observations over the past few years gave me the impression that the 3 o'clock clutch tab position may have been bent in a way that reduced it's travel. Lastly, while eyeballing the rubber platter supports caused me to believe they were healthy, when placing a straight edge across them I could see light down the middle where contact is made with the upper platter.

I concluded that each of these minor issues added together were the likely the cause of the tricky clutch adjustment.

I've been running the table sans mushrooms and decided to test it with the mushrooms I'd purchased during the initial restoration. While I was in there I decided to look more closely at the clutch issue. I already knew the 3 o'clock clutch tab had an odd bend that caused it to sit quite high on it's left side, but I didn't know until I checked with a straight edge that the rubber platter supports were fairly worn.

I had new rubber platter supports on hand, and replacing them was easy. Once the clutch was removed I found myself wondering what it's original shape was. In addition to the lift at the 3 o'clock position it also seemed to be twisted. To straighten it I simply placed it on a flat surface, overhanging where I wanted to add or reduce the bend, and applied slight pressure with my hands. With the adjustment screws adjusted to a position below the motor unit I was able to drop the clutch into place to check for flat initially, then apply a slight down bend at the 3 o'clock tab so that when properly adjusted it was near parallel to the edge of the upper platter.

Final adjustment was to take all three clutch tabs up to a position approximately .5mm under the platter. I intended this to be a starting position. Then I installed the upper platter and discovered that the clutch operated perfectly without further adjustment. I ran the table for several hours on the bench, raising and lowering the clutch on occasion and observed no change in operation.

Then I pulled my Empire from the main listening system and replaced it with the TD124. So far the clutch is still operating as it should.

Last edited:
Terrya, did you notice any difference with the mushrooms?
TIA

Yes I did. The table is quieter, but less dynamic. I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the current sound. I'll be rolling cartridges through and experimenting with loading.

I have two other tables and I pit them against each other. They all sound better over time as a result. Right now I just don't think the TD124 is where it should be.

Thanks for the feedback, I’m running mine mushroomless and I think it blows my Linn away. In fact, I’ve put the LP12 up for sale due to lack of use.

I have trouble deciding whether any one of my tables sounds better than the others. Both the Empire 208 and the TD125 long base play well and are very quiet. I have a handful of cartridges and have spent the last few years cycling them through and have settled on the AT33PTGII for the TD125, and the Hana SL for the Empire. I've used both of these cartridges on the TD124 as well as a few others. I've had an OC0MLII for years but it always caused listener fatigue until I modified the loading and gave it more time. It was starting to sound like the cartridge of choice for the TD124 until I installed the mushrooms. I may try one of my AT MM cartridges to see if that extra sparkled compensates for the addition of the mushrooms. I have a clean AT15SS that I may try first. If that doesn't work I may pull the mushrooms and consider different feet for the TD124 to see if coupling to the heavy cabinet under it helps with the noise.

What I don't know is how quiet it should be. It's not really noisy. I only hear a little something a high volumes. My two other tables may be skewing my judgement. They are both virtually dead quiet.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The 125 MKII is quieter than the TD-160 and TD-115 MKII I had, and much quieter than any of the other tables I have had over the years. It is startling how quiet these tables are if you have never heard one before.

My TD-125 MKII and TD-126 MKII was recently rebuilt and modified by Gary at Better Music last summer. He died a couple months later, which is extremely sad. He was an excellent turntable technician and one hell of a nice guy. He was a Linn technician. I think the tech at London Audio is the only person in the area with his level of skill now.

-Chris

I'm not suggesting that a dead quiet background is everything. And I'll admit that I can only hear something between cuts and only at high volumes. No one has complained but I know it's there. I believe the table is healthy. I suspect this may be an acceptable and expectable threshold for this table, but I cycle through my tables (for fun) and the example has been set by the others so I'm trying to see if I can get closer to the same with the TD124. With mushrooms installed the table is super quiet. Still contemplating my next move.

The 125 MKII is quieter than the TD-160 and TD-115 MKII I had, and much quieter than any of the other tables I have had over the years. It is startling how quiet these tables are if you have never heard one before.

My TD-125 MKII and TD-126 MKII was recently rebuilt and modified by Gary at Better Music last summer. He died a couple months later, which is extremely sad. He was an excellent turntable technician and one hell of a nice guy. He was a Linn technician. I think the tech at London Audio is the only person in the area with his level of skill now.

-Chris

My TD125 (II?) and my Empire are equally quiet as heard by my ears. Beyond that I couldn't pick one table over the others. There are different arms involved and different cartridges. One cartridge may sound great on one table/tonearm, while not sounding as good (to me) on another. It's been fun looking for the best combinations. Each table has benefited from the competition. They all play better that they did when first set up. With the other two I got to a point where I kept coming back to a particular cartridge and loading values and realized I hadn't found a better combination. Then I was done and just listened and enjoyed. Just looking for that last little bit from the TD124. It took a slight step back in dynamics with the addition of the mushrooms. I'll admit I made another change too. I added 3 phenolic washers under the armboard. Too many variables. Could they be responsible for the quietness, and the lack of dynamics a result of the added mushrooms? Time will tell.

I don’t hear any noise between songs from the cartridge. Just a light whirring noise from the mechanism itself. I think this is fairly normal.

I don't hear any whirring unless I place my ear right next to the table. If the needle is in the groove, and I'm blasting it, I can hear something I don't hear with the other tables.

I'm repeating myself.

I love this hobby.