Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2020, 09:36 PM   #2821
mbergerooo is offline mbergerooo  Canada
diyAudio Member

This is what came with my order from Audio-Silente. It fits in the bottom of my motor beneath the spindle. The spindle has the original 2mm bearing in it. What is the diameter supposed to be and where would I get one?
I wasn't sure what to call it but I am talking about the motor. Not the main platter spindle housing. Still probably using the wrong words for what I am trying to describe. Sorry.
m
Old 26th November 2020, 09:40 PM   #2822
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If this is for the motor it's the right size, your last post was somewhat lacking in context. It fits in a recess in the bottom of the bearing housing. I might have misunderstood.. LOL

It should be retained by the bearing assembly if assembled correctly? Can you take some pictures of the assembly as you put it back together? The way the spring washer is installed is important, but it is so long since I did it I no longer remember the orientation. It is fairly obvious if oriented incorrectly..
Old 26th November 2020, 10:27 PM   #2823
TerribleT is offline TerribleT  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbergerooo View Post
This is what came with my order from Audio-Silente. It fits in the bottom of my motor beneath the spindle. The spindle has the original 2mm bearing in it. What is the diameter supposed to be and where would I get one?
I wasn't sure what to call it but I am talking about the motor. Not the main platter spindle housing. Still probably using the wrong words for what I am trying to describe. Sorry.
m
Here's a 124 motor rebuld with pictures:

td124motor

Hope this helps.
Old 27th November 2020, 10:03 PM   #2824
diyAudio Member

I put my motor back together and ran it for 30 hours. Everything sounded good with the stethoscope. The motor was pretty hot but I did not get a reading on exactly how hot. I picked up a Digital Laser Tachometer to help me out. It read 1733.3rpm at the motor pulley with no belt attached. I read a post on AK that 1740rpm was considered a good build.
I then reinstalled the platter to take a look at the strobe. Results are not that good. It was warm so it came to speed within 10 minutes. I let it cool down and tried again with a cold start to confirm my failure. It still does not come up to speed as quickly as it should.
This TT is serial# 3427.
The resistance on the coils are:
Black to Red = 84 and 83
Black to Green = 264.4 and 264.8
Black to Yellow = 55.3 and 54.8
Are these acceptable?
I do have a new set of coils. I just thought it would be good practice to try to get as much as I can out of the original coils. Would the new coils solve my problems?
I do reach speed eventually and it remains steady once there. It just seems like there is not enough torque to get things going.
The other problem may be my motor bushings. I soaked them in 20w oil but I did not go through the procedure of heating them up. They are from Audio-Silente and I believe arrive pre loaded so i did not bother. But maybe I should?
I am sure my motor build could be improved upon but I still think there is something I am missing.
I am also in the process of reading this entire thread again. I took notes the last time but I must have missed something. I have regularly visited The Analog Dept. for years. First, for my TD-160 and now the TD-124.
I don't think it is lack of information. It is knowledge, experience and execution.
Old 27th November 2020, 10:09 PM   #2825
diyAudio Member

Also Kevinkr,
I will take pictures as I move forward. I did open up my motor after the most recent attempt and the thrust pad was right where it belongs. I just read somewhere else to put a dab of grease underneath to keep it down. My motor spindle does move up and down a bit when you pull on it. I thought that while upside down maybe the pad could jiggle around in there.
m
Old 27th November 2020, 10:11 PM   #2826
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
Here's a 124 motor rebuld with pictures:

td124motor

Hope this helps.
Hey TerribleT,
I actually have that page open as well. I think I may need a day or two away from this TT.
m
Old 28th November 2020, 08:22 AM   #2827
diyAudio Member

Well here we go. Post #991. Old coils = 1380-1400rpm. So there is still a bit of room to improve.
m
Old 28th November 2020, 11:32 PM   #2828
diyAudio Member

I am also thinking that this cheap Tachometer is lying to me.
m
Old 28th November 2020, 11:55 PM   #2829
porkfried is offline porkfried
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know where to source motor bearing plate rivets in US? Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 01:36 PM   #2830
hirscwi is offline hirscwi  United States
diyAudio Member

Mcmaster.com has them. Small machine screws work also.

Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKIIHide this!Advertise here!