How better is a Turntable compared to a CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have cd boxes with a song "I need your love so bad" Fleetwood mac

Speaking of which, I dug this up from about 3 years ago.
That's me on the left, Mick on the right.

Attachments

• mike-mick05.jpg
    mike-mick05.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 118
I liked that he had access to the master tape, the LP and the CD and took the time to look into them and their differences. .....

It's *commercial interest*. :crazy:

Grain of salt the size of a house. Make that a block of flats: you have to question whether the 'listening' ever actually occurred.

BTW the reasons why LP might be preferred by some listeners to CD are well (over)documented; most of them nonsense, some real.

Biggest real reason is personal bias during uncontrolled tests, and the extreme difficulty of conducting controlled preference tests when it is dead easy to identify an LP with its high noise, distortion and fault (scratches etc.) rate.

It's *commercial interest*. :crazy:

Grain of salt the size of a house. Make that a block of flats: you have to question whether the 'listening' ever actually occurred.

BTW the reasons why LP might be preferred by some listeners to CD are well (over)documented; most of them nonsense, some real.

Biggest real reason is personal bias during uncontrolled tests, and the extreme difficulty of conducting controlled preference tests when it is dead easy to identify an LP with its high noise, distortion and fault (scratches etc.) rate.

Here we go again.

This means your a great fan or great hugger. :p

I have a tip for the jazz corner.

Bugge Wesseltoft makes great new jazz recordings.
Bugge Wesseltoft - GUBEMUSIC

When you like brass try Eric.Vloeimans "Gatecrashin". A renewing award winning Dutch jazz trumpet player.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And for what I can say I am still impressed by the reproduction of my budget grado red cartridge.
GRPRESRED_000.jpg

Last edited:
In the CD world you will always be at the mercy of the Mastering Engineer and the CD loudness wars. You can do things with CD waveforms that you can't with Vinyl.

Like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A typical CD contains peaks like this:

Because of that you are at the mercy of your DAC's overload characteristic and you listen to compressed clipped music free of dynamics. Listen carefully: everything's at the same volume. Even if you turn it up, EVERYTHING'S STILL AT THE SAME VOLUME.

A decent Vinyl LP will make you jump, I never jump with CDs - the dynamics simply aren't there after the music gets out of the compressor on the mastering desk. Some music simply sounds stupid on CD - Kaiser Chiefs etc - the guys get to the crescendo and you can hear the volume deflating as the compressor makes it the same volume as everything else.

Digital should be so good, it should be error corrected 24bit 96kHz. Instead it's an error prone and coarse 16bit 44.1kHz designed for electronics of decades ago. In fact IMO CDs are so bad now people tend to stick with MP3s because they can't notice the difference: With a decent format that may have been different.

Well , not really . Unless you directly buy a bad 16bit disc .
I have 24bit 96khz uncompressed CD's lying around .
The volumes and dynamics , are absolutely different .
And even when i convert , it remains as loud is comparable to soft .
Download Iron Maiden's Fear Of The Dark album from TPB and you will know what i am going on and on about .

:D Pano definitely Analog shirts ..........:cheers:

This means your a great fan or great hugger. :p

I have a tip for the jazz corner.

Bugge Wesseltoft makes great new jazz recordings.
Bugge Wesseltoft - GUBEMUSIC

When you like brass try Eric.Vloeimans "Gatecrashin". A renewing award winning Dutch jazz trumpet player.

And for what I can say I am still impressed by the reproduction of my budget grado red cartridge.
GRPRESRED_000.jpg

Grado's are fantastic budget cartridges without the budget sound as for recordings , anything done by or at Van Gilder's .....

Last night i downloaded a declip software to see how it works , not bad , after decliping Pink´s Funhouse cd it sounded like some of my early 90´s cd´s. Luckly 90% of my cd´s are from the 86-92 period.Returning to Pink´s cd , no dynamics , everything is blasted at the same level and compressed.After decliping the sound aint harsh anymore , dont know if it´s my ears but the original sounds almost distorted . I also tryed Dave matthews Before These Crowded Streets , a very good recorded cd ( at least i thought it was ) , but it has the same loudness issues .After decliping everything sounded more natural , less distorted if i may say.Cd´s could sound much better if they weren´t made for crappy stereo and if producers didn´t overload volume and treble levels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.