Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2013, 12:58 AM   #521
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

And in both directions. Still it is the great grandpa of this thread. One of these winters I'll present my kludgey version or perversion of the twin arm arm. As Doug T says, life continues to scratch at the door. My roof is done though.
Old 9th June 2013, 10:28 AM   #522
Mark Kelly is offline Mark Kelly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Surely that still has tracking angle error at either end, much less, but some none the less.
No, it doesn't.

See fig 3 in the last image in post #519 to understand why.
Old 9th June 2013, 04:50 PM   #523
dtut is offline dtut  United States
diyAudio Member

Is the plan view drawing in #518 which shows the tracking to scale?

And has anybody seen/heard the BJ in action?
Old 9th June 2013, 11:13 PM   #524
awolff761 is offline awolff761  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, Direct Driver
Those are excellent pix of the B-J arm. They sure got the attention of a few posters here.
The first few times I saw them I noticed (in post #518) the plan view dtut mentions (and possibly Mark as well) and the mosaic page from the patent. Now they're gone. What happened? And what was the source?

Andy
Old 9th June 2013, 11:48 PM   #525
diyAudio Member

Questions answered! Vinylengine.com (the source, apparently) was "down for maintenance." They're back now.
I also noticed a spirited exchange among its members as to what to call it, how accurate it is, etc. "Our" dtut was in the middle of it. How about it, Doug? Any satisfaction?

Andy
Old 10th June 2013, 02:56 AM   #526
dtut is offline dtut  United States
diyAudio Member

Andy,

There was some discussion that involved a bit of confusion and consternation because the BJ sort of looks like a pivot if you're not a follower of the "Angling for 90 Degrees" thread. I'd forgotten about that. Eventually, it all got back on track.

As I said then, I'd love to get my hands on a BJ, but the last two I saw for sale were a little pricey for me and involved shipping from England or Australia.

Maybe, if that drawing is to scale, I can put together a clone of some sort. I've got plenty of ABS plumbing pipe, some cheap ceramic bearings, and lots of blue masking tape - that oughta do it.
Old 10th June 2013, 04:28 AM   #527
directdriver is offline directdriver  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtut View Post
Maybe I can put together a clone of some sort. I've got plenty of ABS plumbing pipe, some cheap ceramic bearings, and lots of blue masking tape - that oughta do it.
For DIY projects, I would prefer to copy a variation of the Garrard Zero 100 or that mysterious DIY arm with strings. Or you can use the specs of below DIY arm from post#343 by inventor Marek Bundzel because you can convert a conventional pivot arm into a tangential arm.

Good Luck!!

Old 10th June 2013, 10:07 PM   #528
robertmc48 is offline robertmc48
diyAudio Member

Default Unknown Tangential Tonearm

I am new to this group and I have been following this thread with interest. There have been many great posts and the I have enjoyed reading them.

I have a turntable that I have owned for about 25 years. It is a JVC Nivico Perfect Tracking. In all that time I have never seen or heard of another one except for one sold in Malaysia. It is a large turntable probably made in the 1970s. The most interesting thing about it is the tonearm. It is a tangential tracking arm. It is nicely made with a jeweled movement. If anyone can tell me anything at all about it I would love to hear what they have to say. It plays well and sounds good. The cartridge is a Shure X8.

Can anyone tell me about this tonearm ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0476a.jpg (64.9 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0478a.jpg (125.8 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0479a.jpg (77.0 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0592.jpg (42.6 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0594.jpg (32.6 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0477a.jpg (85.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 10th June 2013, 10:47 PM   #529
Straight Tracker is offline Straight Tracker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hello robertmc48

I've never seen that tonearm before but it looks to be functioning like the Garrard Zero-100. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 10th June 2013, 11:25 PM   #530
diyAudio Member

Hi, robertmc48
Your tonearm does indeed seem to be the same design as the Garrard Zero-100 (Klein, U.S. pat. #2983517, or British equivalent from A.B. Say). Do you still have the manual it had originally? Can you post any of it if you do? Thanks for sharing this player with us!

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!