Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2017, 03:58 AM   #1041
directdriver is offline directdriver  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikisa View Post
My headshell angle 90
An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Thanks for posting, sikisa. The headshell looks like the RS Labs type of headshell. Does it have a guiding mechanism or it just free flowing? Can you show us the tonearm in operation? Thanks.
Old 31st January 2017, 05:42 AM   #1042
Straight Tracker is offline Straight Tracker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Stepper Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by super10018 View Post
It seems to me that it is not very difficult to implement an active Birch geometry tangential pivot arm. 1. To use a small stepper motor at point P.
Hi super10018,

You are right, a Stepper Motor would indeed be a good idea. I know, because I patented that idea in 1984. I incorporated it in my prototype at that time.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 31st January 2017, 01:23 PM   #1043
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Ralf,

Wow, you patented the idea already in 1984. So, does this mean that Reed is using your patent?

Jim
Old 31st January 2017, 07:31 PM   #1044
diyAudio Member

Going back into a past post, I found Ralf's patent. I only glanced at the pictures and haven't read through the entire patent. In one version the assembly travels in a straight line so it does not use the Birch geometry but it is not a parallel arm either. The other more complicated version uses a curved trajectory. If Ralf allows, I would like to post picture links so people can enjoy observing his creation here.

Last edited by directdriver; 31st January 2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 31st January 2017, 10:18 PM   #1045
dtut is offline dtut  United States
diyAudio Member

I hope Ralf is cool with posting pictures. I've been looking forward to them for a long time.

Thanks everyone for the pictures of the new arms and as always DD is on top of things.
Old 1st February 2017, 04:08 AM   #1046
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super10018 View Post
Ralf,
So, does this mean that Reed is using your patent? Jim
Hi Jim,

Patents were good for 17 years in 1984. This idea has been in the public domain for a long time. It would tickle me pink if someone would use a stepping motor in a tone arm servo.

I don't actually know how the Reed people are driving their new tone arm.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 1st February 2017, 04:19 AM   #1047
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directdriver View Post
If Ralf allows, I would like to post picture links so people can enjoy observing his creation here.
Hi directdriver,

I have no objections whatsoever, and thanks for remembering.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 1st February 2017, 05:12 AM   #1048
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtut View Post
I hope Ralf is cool with posting pictures. I've been looking forward to them for a long time.
Hi Doug,

It is hard to believe how fast time goes by. In 2013 I was introduced to a Professor at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott. He was going to help with the design of my tone arm servo. That didn't come to pass for various reasons. While I was patiently waiting for some circuitry to build, I continued with mechanical improvements in my tone arm. I finally came up with a servo of my own design that was so simple, that I could design and build it myself. I spent 2016 listening and testing my 2015 model and designing and building my 2016 model.

Exactly one year ago I attended one semester of CNC programming and operating at Yavapai Community College in Prescott so that I could do my own CNC work on my 2016 tone arm. That tone arm should be finished around Spring Time.

The problem with posting pictures is that, the tone arm has several patentable features which I will lose if I post a picture. I may make my tone arm public if I haven't raised the money to patent the tone arm by the end of 2017.

The main feature of my 2016 tone arm is that, it tracks tangentially with zero error. The servo is of the passive type, consisting of a transistor and a few resistors that anyone can replace.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 1st February 2017, 03:40 PM   #1049
diyAudio Member

Default US Patent #4722080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Tracker View Post
I have no objections whatsoever, and thanks for remembering.
Thanks for sharing!

Some drawings from the patent that tickle the inventive minds! I just love the fact that not all tangential tracking tonearms have to be parallel trackers, servo or no servo!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 2nd February 2017, 04:51 AM   #1050
sikisa is offline sikisa
diyAudio Member

Hi DirectDriver!
This is my tonearm, rare & simple; Tokyo Sound ST 1400, and turntable Teac TS 85 magne float, mod system hanging over.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxE...ew?usp=sharing

Hide this!Advertise here!