One of the best RIAA Network capacitor - for me unknown Brand

Who knows the exactly name of very high voltage booster capacitor manufacturer to the logo "db" (see attachement) ?

Attachments

• db-booster.jpg
    db-booster.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,460
Maybe this link gives you an Idea.

According to it, DB simply means "Dauerbetrieb" indicating that this snubbers are meant for continuous operation. There are also "Anlaufbetrieb" capacitors. To prevent damage in field repairs of Motors the capacitors were labeled to their usage type... (These Replacements typically would have been done by mechanics, not electricians, so a reasonable saftey measure).

This would explain why dispite quite a number of threads in numerous Forums no one ever came up with the correct Vendor :)

Mike

I talked a bit by phone and have heard follow:
The logo "db" is an abbreviation.
The associated brand name was the German surname (family name) "DörrBeck" - a small German manufacturer of high quality capacitors, mainly for the use in horizontal fly back stages (arround the "BU" transistors in televisions).
A picture you will find in post #1.
This brand wasn't purchased or overtaken by a new company.
This means, that the background knowledge of this company isn't available for others.
There are no broshures, folders, datasheets, publications or other printed material on the web.
This means, only the released reports (news) and advertisements in vintage electronic magazines from those days is available.

Perhaps one of the members can look for this (1970s and 1980s).
about the thread
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...rrently-available-electr-audio-magazines.html
I have listed some magazines.

BTW - the colloquial term for this device here in Germany by the most suppliers was "Booster Kondensator" (PLASTIC FOIL BOOSTER CAPACITOR by the supplier DÖNBERG). Today the colloquial term would be "Snubber Capacitor" - so I think.
The currently available substitution are the WIMA FKP versions, unfortunately not available with axial leads.
The Roederstein versions (ERO) like this picture about
http://oldtube.com/ERO-MKP1842-468.jpg
is not a perfect replacement.

Last edited:
I talked a bit by phone and have heard follow:
The logo "db" is an abbreviation.
The associated brand name was the German surname (family name) "DörrBeck" - a small German manufacturer of high quality capacitors, mainly for the use in horizontal fly back stages (arround the "BU" transistors in televisions).
A picture you will find in post #1.
This brand wasn't purchased or overtaken by a new company.
This means, that the background knowledge of this company isn't available for others.
There are no broshures, folders, datasheets, publications or other printed material on the web.
This means, only the released reports (news) and advertisements in vintage electronic magazines from those days is available.

Perhaps one of the members can look for this (1970s and 1980s).
about the thread
Overview from world's best historical and currently available electr/audio Magazines - diyAudio
I have listed some magazines.

BTW - the colloquial term for this device here in Germany by the most suppliers was "Booster Kondensator" (PLASTIC FOIL BOOSTER CAPACITOR by the supplier DÖNBERG). Today the colloquial term would be "Snubber Capacitor" - so I think.
The currently available substitution are the WIMA FKP versions, unfortunately not available with axial leads.
The Roederstein versions (ERO) like this picture about
http://oldtube.com/ERO-MKP1842-468.jpg
is not a perfect replacement.
I am still looking for that.

Kinda looks like an ERO MKP/KP without the colored outer layer.
yes, but only concerning the outline, but not concerning the sound character in listening tests.
who know about genuine datasheets and advertisements of this vintage HV booster capacitor (check out post #8) ?

Attachments

• Dörrbeck db 0,15-630.jpg
    Dörrbeck db 0,15-630.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Dörrbeck db 0,56-630.jpg
    Dörrbeck db 0,56-630.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Dörrbeck db 1uF-630.jpg
    Dörrbeck db 1uF-630.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Dörrbeck db 0,15uF-2000-II.jpg
    Dörrbeck db 0,15uF-2000-II.jpg