DIY Turntable belts.. How??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIY Belt for Empire 208

Anyone have experience with making belts for turntables with motor pulleys that are adjustable for speed control by tipping like my Empire 208? I've used several commercially produced flat rubber belts with recommended although different lengths and widths, each producing different audio qualities. Is it worth my time experimenting with thread or non stretchable tape type belts with this type pulley? My concern is that the belt tension is applied by a spring which swings the motor and pulley along a fairly crude track under the plinth. This tension seems possible to slip over time and thereby possibly change the speed of the platter. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Garland

Whether it sounds better with a stretchy or firm belt has a lot to do with the rotational inertia of the turntable & pulley and of the drive motor & pulley, and the periods of oscillation that result. The stretchy stuff might absorb motor cogging and motor bearing noise, or lead to speed instability of the platter. This is pretty simple science, not voodoo.

Whether you pull the platter bearing to one side, and whether that makes an improbvment or degradation, again depends on the particular design. I like having a really long belt, with an idler opposite the motor, or two motors on opposite sides. But now I only use direct-drive anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.