Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

silicon damping
silicon damping
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2003, 01:30 PM   #1
Nat Eddy is offline Nat Eddy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default silicon damping

Anyone have any experience using STP for damping unipivots or bearings on regular arm? I know that various viscosities of silicon are available over the internet, but STP is cheap and easily available. I have used it experimentally for main bearings of turntables and thought it good. Any opinions?
Old 3rd June 2003, 04:28 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

silicon damping
If the viscosity is OK and itīs not volatile, it should work fine. If you can smell it, itīs too volatile.
Old 5th June 2003, 05:41 PM   #3
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I use it on my unipivot, and it's just fine. It's horrible stuff if you spill it though. Have baby buds and kitchen roll handy. Where were you thinking of using it?

BTW silicon is the stuff in transistors, and is like glass, silicone is the squidgy stuff added to women's boobs.
Old 5th June 2003, 06:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default silicon damping

I have a JH formula IV (which needs work) in which I expect to use it, but I was also thinking of trying damping the pivots on a cheap turntable just to see what it does -- Van Alstine used to recommend it for arms in Japanese tables, he was particularly big on it on the Harmon Kardons, but since many of them were made by CEC anyway it ought to work with any of them.
Old 5th June 2003, 07:39 PM   #5
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Waxing?

It should be fine in the bucket of a Formula IV.

I'm not so sure about putting it in the pivots of a gimballed arm. It doesn't seem to deteriorate over the years in the trough of my unipivot, but it might wax and clog the bearings of a conventional arm. Waxing etc is why watch and clock makers uses such expensive oils. Be prepared to disassemble the arm to flush waxed oil out.

One thing I do know is that it attacks the insulation of arm wiring if you let the two come into contact.
Old 6th June 2003, 11:43 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default silicon damping

Very good to be warned that STP can attack insulation on wiring. I'll be careful. Thanks.

silicon dampingHide this!Advertise here!