MPP

I heard many versions of the Paradise. From an extremely fatt and tuby sounding version with a Tube PSU to more brighter specimen.
I can say one thing : there is no superiour topology. It is all in the details and execusion ones the design is " transparent ". I mean : Low Noise, Low enough distortion, flat RIAA; low crosstalk, etc.
That makes it so difficult to recommend a particular design.

Hello together,

I'am planning to build my own paradise phono-pre amp, maybe you can give me some advice on the best way to approach this project. It has been a while since I built my last diy-hifi project (So far, 2x Symasym, LSQR-preamp, some modified china-ebay DAC &some headphone amps).

1. Where can I get the required PCBs?
2. Is this the latest BOM available: google docs?

Regards,
Christian

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Help sought - My Paradise shunt regs are using 40mA more on the positive rail than on the negative rail. I bought a completed Paradise phono minus prereg as a stop gap until I could build my own.
So with +/- 26V I see 145mA on negative rail and 185 mA on positive. The Calvin buffer is disconnected. I can adjust for 18V on both outputs. Pics of one board here
Michael Lakeman | Flickr The amp works and sounds good to me. Maybe it could sound better though.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Check the 10 Ohm resistors (R104, R204) for their values. While not ideal, this difference is not alarming. Is it the same behaviour on both channels? And, do you have a scope where you can check if one of the regulators is oscillating?

If that doesnt work , the regulator schematic has typical voltage levels noted, you may want to check those.

By the way, there is a paradise builders thread here: Paradise Builders

where you may want to ask those questions, maybe better than in this MPP thread....

I like the Pearl phono.... very good design.... maybe it could be improved with a good psu.

I am sure the psu is an integral part of any amp because it sings along with it.

I use a pair of jfets in the input of my phonostage... and it is quiet. :)

Hi RC,
Which circuit are you using? I often experienced (well, three different topos or so...), that a single fet sounds better than paralleld fets if it werent for the noise penalty.
Rüdiger

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello Joachim

Still trying to understand the paradise schematic and need your input.

There are two voltage references that provide VCASCH and VCASCL.

The are made with a ccs and a zener in each case.

R11 Q97 D2 and R10 Q98 D1

What is the purpose of such a circuit ? In my simulations the circuit works perfectly without these subcircuits......

BTW.... Good sound in the MOC this year.... love your speakers

Ricardo

Attachments

• Paradise%20R3%20schematic%20amplifier_notes.jpg
    Paradise%20R3%20schematic%20amplifier_notes.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 290