MPP

Joined 2005
Paid Member
BREAKING NEWS

just put together the regulators on my own to boards, fed them with +/-30V, and guess what - they worked straight away! Had to do some finetuning, but the performance measured so far is fantastic - no drift I could see, extremely low output noise despite noisy lab environment.

Frans this is a fantastic design!

I am interested what other do and i found to my amazement a phonostage that has dead accurate RIAA. I am really underwhelmed how off some expensive models are but not this one. It is the Sutherland Mono Blocks. I am a little surprised that is uses Opamps, not because i think it is not technically sound but because it is not inexpensive. I would expect more creativity for such a Gem. I know, in terms of precision and distortion they are hard to beat with discrete so when it works it´s fine with me. As a matter of fact Stereophile gave it high praise in sound quality.
It has a very nice grounding scheme. Ground can be switched from floating to audio ground on chassis to 50 Ohm resistor between audio ground and chassis. I will try that out when i build my Paradise. Overload margin and signal noise..... look for yourself.

Attachments

• Sutherland Mono Block Phono.png
    Sutherland Mono Block Phono.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 313
OK, I understand this i a phonostage.

What would it take to evolve it to a multichannel pre-pre amp with input voltage/current settings for every device you might want to connect? Specially DIY thingies do differ in volume when you connect them to the ordinary inputs. Then of course we need a master volume... So maybe it would be called a preamp with adjustable inputs.

Brgds

The Paradise design is not suitable for an internal volume-control....as it then would need one more buffer-stage...
The RIAA is put in between the current-mirror and buffer input impedance's, both play a role for the component values in the RIAA network..so a volume-control here would be all-most impossible to design as it would also affect the RIAA curve. It could be possible to fit one after the buffer as it has good current drive

Hi Joachim,Jacco and Michael!

Perhaps you could link to some papers or threads about real hi-end stuff? Now how would I describe hi-end? Well, I would ask the ones that has been into audio almost since I started around -75 - I took a breake between 1985-2011 though so I'm a freshman in many ways regarding non computrized sound (ie analog connections, amps and you name the rest). But still, for my part I would be happy if the younger and more forward looking peers came with bright ideas how to make a black box preamp that took whatever in signal from whatever source and gave an output in line with industry standard without altering the input signal more than volume wise.

Brgds

Probably 20 years ago !

Jacco, when was that ?
20 years ago ?

I've designed a phono pre with 5566 and also a pre with it.
The only problem with this chips is the fact that you don't have to go above 35 volt. nothing more, nothing special !

IIRC Spectral DMC 12 and phono pre also uses these J-fet.

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,

José

Audiofanatic :)