MPP

Here is the pre regulator. You can also see the waveform before and after the common mode coils.

Attachments

• Pre Regualtor for Paradise 1.jpg
    Pre Regualtor for Paradise 1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Pre Regulator for Paradise 2.jpg
    Pre Regulator for Paradise 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 384
  • Pre Regulator for Paradise 3.jpg
    Pre Regulator for Paradise 3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 383
  • Paradise Pre-Regulator waveform after common mode coil.jpg
    Paradise Pre-Regulator waveform after common mode coil.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 384
  • Paradise Pre-Regulator waveform after bridge.jpg
    Paradise Pre-Regulator waveform after bridge.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 368
Area 51 continued

Hey Frans, don't you think you tortured us enough? Pull your helmet off!:knight::knight::knight:

Not yet, the problem that I have is; none of the questions that I have has been answered. These questions are:

What is the purpose of the alternative circuits, like stepped rectifiers and charge transfer and are those questions addressed by the 'Area 51' component.

As I see it, the main problem of rectification, in the standard circuit, are:

1: High current peaks.
2: Short charge times (of the buffer caps).
3: High frequency components due to rectifier switching behavior.
4: High ripple voltages (on the buffer caps).

The graphs show that all these points are (I think) addressed by the ‘Area 51’ circuit, the (my) question would be, if you look at the graphs, as shown in http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/154210-mpp-442.html#post2863417, and the additional information in http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/154210-mpp-442.html#post2863477 then would you conclude that these points are addressed or not and what other points should be addressed?

Where the standard circuit produces current peaks of up to 12A the 'Area 51' circuit produces only 2A, this for sure (I think) will limit rectifier noise. And the fact that the charging time of the buffer caps increases from short pulses to about 70 percent of the cycle time lowers the ripple on the buffer caps by 50 percent (as the graphs show).

I would have liked to see some views on these points, so for now I repeat the questions and hope to see some views (not on what it is and how it works, these are not relevant in light of the noise (and other artifacts) created).

Regards,
Frans.

P.s. The ‘Area 51’ component will be shown in full glory (let’s say by Wednesday) until then, give me some insights, learn me a thing or two.

Attachments

• NonPulsePwr.JPG
    NonPulsePwr.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 228
Frans, whenever i use your MPP links i land at the top of this page so something is wrong.
To answer your questions : Yes i think the Area 51 circuit has an advantage. I doubt though that this will crossover to the Pardise circuit because your PSU is so good in total performance. Sure, EVERYTHING you do makes a difference. Put your Moms best grounded glasses on top of your speakers and you hear it, put a 50cent piece on your front wall with blue tack and you hear it, and so it goes......
Me, a glas or two of Bordeaux wine do just fine.

Frans, whenever i use your MPP links i land at the top of this page so something is wrong.
To answer your questions : Yes i think the Area 51 circuit has an advantage. I doubt though that this will crossover to the Pardise circuit because your PSU is so good in total performance. Sure, EVERYTHING you do makes a difference. Put your Moms best grounded glasses on top of your speakers and you hear it, put a 50cent piece on your front wall with blue tack and you hear it, and so it goes......
Me, a glas or two of Bordeaux wine do just fine.

I totally agree (including on the Bordeaux) as I did say before 'I am a (high end voodoo) skeptic'. The massages about 'stepped rectifiers' and 'charge transfer power supplies' made me wonder and made me create the 'Area 51' component (I cannot help that) :)

The power supply as designed should be more than proficient en does not need change (in my opinion). I was just trying to find out ... :)

This was not directed at you, but at the people talking about these ‘experimental’ power supply enhancements. They made (in a way) that I created the ‘Area 51’ component :)

Any way the circuit will be posted soon.

Regards,
Frans.

P.s. the links should go (as they do from my place) to message 4413 and 4449 here in Mpp.

Yes, exactly those, LQA06T300 or LQA05TC600. I have some silicon shottkys (31DQ10) but they are only 100V rated which is not good enough for my next supply. I think the price is not too bad.

I use them without snubbers and I have no complaints... Are schottkys with snubbers superior ?

You cannot completely escape the switching noise even with shottkys but you can reduce it's effect by using good diodes AND add means of minimising the remaining noise, i.e. snubbers, layout/minimal loop area, increasing conduction angle, filtering, outboard supply, etc.. /Helmet off

Last edited: