Neumann UM57 From Scratch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Just wanted to post this info now that my mic is actually working!!!

I made this replica of a Neumann UM57. I did everything except the power supply. It took three months and it works great! It's very transparent and extremely sensitive.

I chose this mic because the schematic was simple. The real work was making the chassis, FINDING the parts and ordering them, designing the mic so there would be enough room for everything. The actual soldering was fairly simple.

A few of the many things I learned:

Check the PC board schematic one more time before sending out to be made. (I had one little trace touching but was able to fix it.)

Consider the weight of the chassis before ordering a very heavy brass tube!

Joanne D. Phillips
Blue Square Sound

Attachments

• um57sch.jpg
    um57sch.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 207
  • um57mic_a.jpg
    um57mic_a.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 197
Belated Congratulations on the U57 Build!

Congratulations on your build. How does your cool microphone build sound after years of use? My name is Louis and I am teaching a free community-based youth recording studio and I wanted to build a u57 as a study tool. Would you be willing to sell/share your PCB? 727 317 9784

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.