A Bix / Clearaudio Turntable marriage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm looking for some advise and guidance.

I have a Bix turntable and I have a Clearaudio Champion level II platter and bearing. What I'm planning to do is incorporate the clearaudio bearing and platter into the Bix turntable. I'm going to separate the upper and lower acrylic plinth from the Bix and install 3 spacers between them and under the lower plinth. So my table will look pretty much like a Clearaudio Champion level II when completed.

I was thinking I would make these spacers from 3 inch diameter X 2 inch thick aluminim round. The question is aluminum an acceptable material to make the spacers from or would something else be better, wood, steel, brass, lead? Should the two acrylic slabs and spacers be rigidely bolted together or just stacked and pinned. Should I incorporate any isolation between the spacers and acrylic? Does anyone know what Clearaudio does on their Level II mod?

I have a Rega 250 with the Expressimo stub, weight and vta adjuster which I will rewire for the arm. What do you think about maple for the tonearm pillar and aluminum for the arm mount?

I will be using the maxon motor, pulley and MK motor controller from the group buy here also.

Mark

Attachments

• bix3.jpg
    bix3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 154
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.