need Teres platter diameter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I measure mine at 12" 15/64, using a 24" Starrett rule w/ 64ths scale. The grads are so fine, it might round down a bit to 14/64ths, but using the 32nds scale, it looks a bit proud of that lower mark.

The platter measured is the early frosted one, with a stick-on strobe.

Hope that helps.

directdriver said:
I am in the process of machining a pulley for my friend's Teres turntable (he's too busy and not have the turntable with him at the time) and I need the diameter of the platter. This is the earliest version of the Teres project. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a drawing of a pulley design that works well with a Teres Platter. I can be made for string or tape. This is from a group buy back in 2007 by Algar Emi.

attachment.php

Re: Re: need Teres platter diameter

kilowattski said:

Here is a drawing of a pulley design that works well with a Teres Platter. I can be made for string or tape. This is from a group buy back in 2007 by Algar Emi.

attachment.php

Would this design work with a platter like this one driven by a mkelly/algar drive system?

http://diyhifisupply.com/node/452

Also, does anyone have a pulley from the GB to sell?

Pulley spindle / bearing

On a similar note, where would one find the spindle or bearing that the pulley mounts to ?

I currently own a Teres and am redesigning the plinth. I'd like to add an idler pulley / tensioner in addition to the drive pulley mounted on the motor pod.

If I had a suitable pulley, what kind of bearing / spindle would I mount it to (on the plinth)?

Chris

I don't want to hijack this thread too much.....

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the tension arm from a reel-to-reel, Unfortunately, I don't have an old reel-to-reel deck (or old VCR, etc.) so I'm looking for an alternative, ready-to-purchase parts source. In addition, I'd like the pulley and tensioner to be non-compliant (no rubber and / or springs).

Thanks again.

You are not hijacking the thread at all, it's a great discussion and I appreciate your open-mindedness. Hijack away! :)

I bought a tension arm from eBay that was originally from a tape machine but unfortunately the bearing has cogging and does not rotate smoothly. I intend to keep looking for a good one. Friends also suggested buying an old VCR from a good will or thrift store and scavenge the parts. Not a bad idea. I am having very good result just using VHS tape and I look forward to improving it further by adding a tension arm.

VHS or magnetic tape makes sense to me as they are design to wrap around metal (like a platter) and rotating mass all the time and once engage, they grip the platter very well and the lack of compliance make speed very stable, well, provided you have a good motor to begin with. I dislike all existing motors except my direct-drive turntables. They take up a lot of space but it's the best motor out there and they are cheap. I am not gonna pay over a grand for a motor-pod of certain turntable companies that use wimpy toy motors. Everything I need is inside a well built DD turntable, pitch control, stable slow speed, low noise, and high torque, all for the princely sum of $100 or less. Once hear using a DD turntable tape driving a platter, it's hard to go back to rubber belts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.