measuring tonearm/cartridge combination resonance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you use a cartridge as an exciter to do this test. i.e. for the exciter, put a second cartridge on its back and substitute some sort of "tiny" cup in place of the stylus to cradle the stylus of the actual playback cartridge.

Clearly, you would have to characterize and then be able to back out the compliance and resonances of the exciter cartridge. I am not really interested in using a record for this but if someone has a suggestion for a good test record with sufficient resolution on its subsonic tones, I am interested in hearing about that too.

I think it is a dangerous idea:

- You can hurt the stylus
- The strong magnets of the cartridges will push or pull each other, very risky either way
- You will need some current to excite the cartridge, and probably any current that causes any detectable mechanical displacement will destroy the delicate voice coil.

I was also thinking about a similar measuring method, by using a flat piezo speaker. But the safest is to test in real-life situation. I use the Hi-Fi News and Record Review test record, it is perfect for the purpose.

The Bruel & Kjaer Test Record QR 2010 can also be used to measure tone arm resonances. These resonances can be so large that the movement of the arm can sometimes be seen by the naked eye. The measurement can be made using track 15 of that record which contains a slow sweep from 5 Hz to 20 Hz. The output of the cartridge can be recorded i.e on a level recorder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.