convert cm/dyne to um/mN

Posted: 09 May 2009 22:05 Post subject: objective comparison: cm/dyne to um/mN in actual values/conv

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am wanting to compute arm resonances for various carts/arm combos.
The cartridge database (www.cartridgedb.com) works only w/cm/dyne.
One cart is 28um/mN, another 30. People say go by tracking force; my Yamaha MC705 calls for 1.7g, but has a compliance of 6.0x10(-6)cm/dyne, a very low compliance, whereas my B&O MMC1 is 1g/very high compliance. Sure would help to have empirical data and plug it into the calculator

BTW that's not SI, you are only allowed one multiplier (excluding the annoying kg exception), so that should be 28mm/N - SI is pretty strict about syntax to avoid ambiguity and multiple representations of the same thing(*)

You can read up on this here - well worth it if you are new to or unsure about SI
International System of Units - Wikipedia

BTW the dyne is not SI, its from the cgs system which is all but obsolete (textbooks tend to prolong the death-throes of such things)

(*) Don't get me started on the crazy baroque imperialisms like torque being measured in both inch-ounces and foot-pounds :)