Here it is

Attachments

• 3u9_100k_2018-09-18.png
    3u9_100k_2018-09-18.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 335
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Looks like the same, right?

Still some hum but using scope don't see any AC oscillation. I connected the mu metal sheet covering the tube sockets to chassis ground waiting to lower the hum.

Lowered the hum but still some hum when volume pot starting to 1 to 2 o'clok. It seems needs more screening.

Link to youtube YouTube

Scope don't show ripple no other strange artifacts.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not necessarily where the ground is shown, that's symbolic on the schematic. In high sensitivity valve builds we usually run a thick ground buss and we attach it to chassis at the input end.

You had a quiet Itch for years I think, is this a new build, or the same one developed a buzz?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It started right after you changed the raw DC capacitors from 400uF to 1640uF? Maybe a rectification diode broke from the inrush current, or the regulator developed input side oscillation? Or a new high power on transient hammers it and breaks some of its parts? Check the whole DC chain for broken parts, or if you don't find any, for incompatibility. See what happens if with series resistor between the two 820uF, or with smaller raw capacitance, reg input connector film cap decoupling needed or not etc.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
PSU without load 450VDC

I'm sorry before PSU capcitance wasn't 400uF, was 840uF (2 BG 2 x 100uF each 200uF = 400uF + 1 Elna Cerafine 2 x 220uF = 440uF)

Also changed the two bridge rectifiers for DC heaters, attached pic.

Attachments

• WP_20181006_007[1].jpg
    WP_20181006_007[1].jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
From Itch's input side signal GND buss bar connect a wire to chassis (only one ground wire point to chassis for the whole build). TT ground wire connected to the chassis also with a ground lug thumb screw or a 4mm banana plug. Must make contact to the metal, don't use insulators for the TT ground preamp's chassis terminal.