overhang adjustment vs. twisting in slots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello - I have an AT AT-PL120 turntable (Technics 1200 clone), and a Shure M97xe cartridge. I have been using various alignment methods and have a theory question.

When using a 2 point protractor (I have been using Stevenson, but it doesn't matter), it seems that you can move the cartridge to almost any point in the slots and then rotate it in the slots to get an alignment. So what should the effective length be set to?

For instance, I've used the Technics arc protractor and set the stylus to the overhang indicated (52 mm). To achieve alignment with the grids at the 2 Baerwald points, I must twist the cartridge within the slots. Sounds fine.

But, I can also move the cartridge WAY back in the slots (almost all the way), and then the cartridge aligns with the simple 2 point protractors, with no twist added. This is an S-arm, by the way.

So which is better? I would think that keeping the effective length as long as possible would be better, but I find it interesting that you can achieve a perfect 2 point alignment with a much shorter effective length. In fact, it seems you can align the cartridge at any length by merely twisting it in the headshell.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.