Ultrasonic Record Cleaner- any feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have read the excellent thread on Ultrasonic cleaning by Scalars circa 03/2008.

There is mention of possible damage to records using this method. A year has now passed- can I ask if any problems have been experienced?

(As a relatively new member I don't yet have the authority to email the author direct)

Ianmac

Hi,

I have quite good results in the US vinyl cleaning.

Samples of two records before and after cleaning:
Record I in the Initial state
Record I after US cleaning

Record II in the Initial state before cleaning
Record II after US cleaning

Files are placed on Russian site. For download you need to put 4 digits in window and push button "Далее".

Both of records have clicks.
Record I is very noisy in the initial state and hard to hear music itself. After cleaning the record I is more appropriate for music listening not crackles.

On the record II not too much crackles but cleaning reduce it numbers too.

Scratch crackles and wear noise remain on the record but sound after cleaning is considerable better (on my opinion of course :) ).

Hi,

I have quite good results in the US vinyl cleaning.

Samples of two records before and after cleaning:
Record I in the Initial state
Record I after US cleaning

Record II in the Initial state before cleaning
Record II after US cleaning

Files are placed on Russian site. For download you need to put 4 digits in window and push button "Далее".

Both of records have clicks.
Record I is very noisy in the initial state and hard to hear music itself. After cleaning the record I is more appropriate for music listening not crackles.

On the record II not too much crackles but cleaning reduce it numbers too.

Scratch crackles and wear noise remain on the record but sound after cleaning is considerable better (on my opinion of course :) ).

I cannot download all this files, because there are to read follow message by all mentioned URLs:
Файл номер 14249677 удален !!!
this means, file No ******* deleted and no longer available for download.
Can you post that files as PDF?

Last edited:
I cannot download all this files, because there are to read follow message by all mentioned URLs:
Файл номер 14249677 удален !!!
this means, file No ******* deleted and no longer available for download.
Can you post that files as PDF?

The files were deleted from server some time ago.

I have a new sample of record before cleaning and after cleaning.
Now I use improved cleaning procedure which give more effect than before.

First side of LP before cleaning.

The same side after cleaning in ultrasonic bath.

Both files had compressed as flac.
I hope it is no problem to play its.

The files were deleted from server some time ago.
I have a new sample of record before cleaning and after cleaning.
Now I use improved cleaning procedure which give more effect than before.
First side of LP before cleaning.
The same side after cleaning in ultrasonic bath.
Both files had compressed as flac.
I hope it is no problem to play its.
This are 300 Mbit Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) files - download time aproxx 1 hour at my presently download speed. What is the reason for this kind of file with such large store reservoir?

Hi Sadko

Could you share what improvements you made?

There is late answer but I hope not a useless.

My cleaning procedure looks as the following:

1) Pre-washing
I clean LP by hand-washing using a isopropanol based cleaning liquid. (~25% Isopropanol alcohol, several drops of surfactant and distilled water till 100%)

Washing is not long - less than 1 min but it removes main fatty tracks (fingers etc.).

2) US bath-washing.
duration 10-30 min at 2 rpm. Celsius. Add few drops of surfactant in the bath.
Water in bath is heated till 40 degree It is an optimum for vinyl. At higher temperature it may wrapping LP. Be careful at heating because US bath heat itself also and is optimal to heat water up to 35 degree the rest will be done by the US power ;).

3) Drying.
I use a quick and may be not gentle procedure using vacuum cleaner.
I use a plastic nozzle with wide and narrow gap. The nozzle covered by a thin tissue without nap.
I remove a water droplets from LP surface using the prepared VC.
Plastic nozzle covered by tissue enough soft and safe for vinyl surface.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.