Help required for using a FDD motor as a turntable motor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

QUESTION 1:
I am planning to use the SONY 1.44 MB floppy drive motor (SONY MPF920-Z) to drive my custom modelled turntable having a wooden platter weighing the same as that of LP12 Basik (3.75 Kg). Can some one tell me the torque value available with the FDD motor and the maximum platter weight that can be driven by that motor.

QUESTION 2:
What difference is observed when we use a DC power supply (via a battery pack) instead of an AC power supply (via an adapter) ?

Best regards,
Bins.

Attachments

• sony fdd data sheet.pdf
    79.5 KB · Views: 134
Hi,

1. Are there any advantages if we make a platter out of wood ?

2. Does we have any real benefits if we use a support pulley (Seems like an extra support wheel we used to have in tape recorders) like the one given in the attachment ?

Regards,
Bins.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 429
Hi

I think you really have some reading to do before you start. However I will make some comments to help.

1) Wood can be ok for a platter but ideally you need a material with a very low resonant frequency and one that does not store energy. Hardwood would be better than soft wood. If you use wood than add an isolating layer between the wood and the record - felt or sorbothane.

I am currently trying a platter made of old records glued together ( I used rubber solution glue ) and first impressions are that it seems ok.

2) I do not see any advantage in an idle pulley. On tape decks the idle pulleys keep the tape against the tape head; they do not keep tension. On the record player you need to transfer a constant torque to the platter. I would not expect the idle pulley to help with that.

3) Some people have used a floppy motor to drive a platter. There are a couple of threads giving the details. If you go that route I would guess that you need to keep the weight of the platter low.

Don

Hello Don,

Thanks for your valuable feedbacks. I am planning to build a turntable like the one explained on the site: "www.altmann.haan.de/turntable". The motor I am planning to use of one from the floppy drive. I am not sure on how to tweak a CD/DVD drive motor.

I would like to use a wood platter as explained on the site. The only concern is the maximum weight the motor can drive. If the motor will not be able to drive the wooden platter, then I am planning to use a platter from an old turntable like Linn/Project. Which one is a better option ?

I am also planning to put a felt layer on top of the platter as it is done in the case of Linn. Will we gain any advantage if we use chamois leather instead of a felt mat ?

One of my friend told me that if we use an extra transport wheel, the belt will wrap the platter more than a conventional design and it will result in imporved rotational stability. What is your idea on that ?

Regards,
Bins.

Hi,

I am planning to create a string drive turntable. Now, I am totally confused with the motor that needs to be used. Initially I was planning to use a floppy drive motor. But, now I have a doubt with the speed stability that can be achieved with that motor. Anyone have an idea on the speed variance value with that motor ?

Which one of the following will be a better option:
1. Using the floppy drive motor.
2. Using a motor from the belt drive model.
3. Using a motor from the direct drive model.

Regards,
Bins.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.