DIY Schroeder Tonearm???

I realise that this thread has gone very quiet and the major players may not look in here anymore but...

Did anyone who made a clone curve the surface of the magnet fitted in the arm as Herr Schroeder seems to do on his arms?

If you did, what technique did you find best ?

I am gathering information to build two arms at the same time ( why build one when two only costs twice as much ) :p .

I have read all through this thread twice now and don't recall anyone mentioning curving their upper magnet.

Help would be appreciated .

You will have to look closely at pictures of 'real ' Schroeder arms to see what I mean. It is subtle but there is definitely a curve on the face of the top magnet. It is one of the the 'secrets' of why his tonearms work so well... and why some people have trouble with their diy arms in keeping a constant VTA and also VTF across the whole of the arc of movement.

You don't have to grind a curved surface of the magnet face, just use a thin piece of iron and machine a curve on the iron piece and put that on the flat ace of the magnet. The magnets power will go through the rounded iron piece with no problem.

I never thought of doing it that way... would it definitely work and not diminish or change the magnetic field/flux in any way?

If not then that is a contender.

I did not find it on official website.

Ok... look at this photo.. you can see the curve in the magnet in the arm.

Schroeder_Tonarme.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC, Frank said the space between the magnets was about the thickness of a a business card --- about .010". At that space, the magnets would touch on the edges as the the arm is raised or lowered if both magnets are flat. You probably could raise the arm slightly more above the lower magnet and get away with flat magnets--at reduced magnetic power. A slight curve on one of the magnetic surfaces using a piece of iron is what I would do. I would choose to this on the bottom magnet since you can use a bigger (more powerful) magnet if needed. Either approach should work.