Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY  Schroeder Tonearm???
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2021, 08:33 PM   #1451
12russel3456 is offline 12russel3456  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
Can't edit my previous post so I will add another photo here.
Hi,

Looks really great and well done, great finish over all.

Did you encounter problem in the attraction of top and lower magnet as I did and they attract not evenly. One top magnet was leaning one side all the time.

Tks nad regartds

Adelmo
Old 30th March 2021, 07:02 PM   #1452
EAlex is offline EAlex  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

The pro counterweight should be made with a shifted center of gravity and the traverse should be aligned with it.
Old 30th March 2021, 08:27 PM   #1453
12russel3456 is offline 12russel3456  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex,

Tks for the support. My counter weigh is already center shifted one, I could correct the two surface of the magnets rotating a bit the counterweight but this great tonearm should not work like that. I would like to achieve a better attraction between the 2 mags and possibly without the need to correct with the counter weight, therefore my question.

Tks n rgds

Adelmo
Old 3rd April 2021, 05:26 PM   #1454
Conrad Hoffman is offline Conrad Hoffman  United States
diyAudio Member

Wood doesn't have much hoop strength so I'd go with clearance and some adhesive if the wood is on the outside. Inside, not an issue, but remember that over time wood will likely shrink and the assembly might fall apart. Adhesive is still a good choice, flexible if possible.

Be careful with any sort of drilling or machining of neo magnets. The dust is extremely flammable and fires have been the result.
Old 6th May 2021, 06:21 AM   #1455
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member

hi Frank and everyone

I'm building a Frank schröder tonearm. my friend owns a machine shop so we got together to make a couple of arms.

I had read through everything but wish to confirm the following

the arm shaft. 10.5 inch. I intend to use carbon and balsa wood mix and intend for high compliance carts, it should be below 12grams . what is the ideal counter weight mass? and is the length ideal?

2nd what is the maximum arm height to adjust vta? or just better to make a special angled headshell to adjust vta

what is the alternative to adjust azimuth? just use a shim?

thank you in advance.
Old 6th May 2021, 01:10 PM   #1456
berlinta is offline berlinta  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Anthony,

the arm shaft. 10.5 inch. I intend to use carbon and balsa wood mix and intend for high compliance carts, it should be below 12grams . what is the ideal counter weight mass? and is the length ideal?

There is no "ideal" mass value for a counterweight. The higher the mass of the counterweight, the lower the eff. mass of the arm. But how is anyone to know i.e. the cartridge mass? A good start for your arm would be 150gr

There is no "ideal length". There are advantages of "shorter" arms(around 9" vs 12" arms and vice versa. Check the real estate on your deck, then decide...

2nd what is the maximum arm height to adjust vta? or just better to make a special angled headshell to adjust vta

That's cartridge and turntable dependent. If your friend has a machine shop, he probably knows how to draw a rendering of the project with the deck you intend to use.
A VTA-adjustable headshell increases complexity, compromises mechanical integrity and might be a project to pursue AFTER you got the arm itself to perform satisfactorily.

what is the alternative to adjust azimuth? just use a shim?

There is no alternative to proper Azimuth alignment ;-) Using shims will work, but is decidedly unelegant and cumbersome...

Good luck!

Frank
Old 6th May 2021, 06:56 PM   #1457
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member

Thank You Herr Frank

Screenshot_20210507-014050_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210507-014119_WhatsApp.jpg

some of work in process though I cannot take any credit as I don't know how to cad. vta on the fly feature

Thank you also for all the generosity of knowledge for Diyer. I know won't be as great as original. but it sure is fun trying out new topology and making own tonearm. both first time.
  Reply to this post

DIY  Schroeder Tonearm???Hide this!Advertise here!