Phonoclone 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rear Panel. I used the Neutrik RCA connector and made my own custom GND connector using some brass hardware from Home Depot.

Attachments

• back_s.jpg
    back_s.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 674
rjm said:
Rhys,

Thanks very much for doing this.

Please clarify the situation regarding the 1 nF mica caps I sent you and these kits you propose to provide. I noticed the BOM includes 11 1nF caps. This is anyways a mistake, since each set requires no more than 8 pcs, but shouldn't it be zero?

It would be helpful if you could change the column that reads RJM Value to Rhys Value and update it with the values you chose. That way I can quickly double check it to make sure its all kosher.

I might actually join in on the kit after all: it turns out you are going a little more "high end" than I thought, and it might be fun to have exactly the same build as everyone else.

Still think carbon is the better choice for the 47 ohm damping resistors. (sniff)

Richard

My mistake there, i must have misread somthing, 8 is the correct amount indeed.

That is just a quick BOM to give everyone an idea, still needs some finalising to read the correct values etc, like you mentioned.

Yes, the first six people in the group buy will get the 1nf caps for free, as kindly supplied by rjm. I did not include this in the draft BOM to avoid confusion. When i request funding i will deduct the price of the capacitors for the first 6 people on the table. If they are not requiring a kit i will just send the capacitors along.

Once i get home tonight i will edit the BOM and finalize it.

I must have missed the carbon resistors, that would make sense for them to be a better choice then film for damping.

Rhys

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Rhys,

Since it looks like just about everyone is going in for a kit, and I never made any preconditions, why don't you just order the remaining 1nF caps you need to make up the difference, and average the cost of those parts over the total number of kits? Those opting out of the kits don't get caps. Sorry. :)

rjm said:
Rhys,

Since it looks like just about everyone is going in for a kit, and I never made any preconditions, why don't you just order the remaining 1nF caps you need to make up the difference, and average the cost of those parts over the total number of kits? Those opting out of the kits don't get caps. Sorry. :)

This is what i was originally thinking, i agree with you. I will take this route, im just talking to suppliers trying to avoid import tax, otherwise i will have to write the correct value on customs forms for everyone so i can provide proof the parts were exported, to claim it back.

rhysh...

nearly certain now that theres a 150euro threshold now for import duties/taxes. Might be worth considering splitting the order into a few batches to stay under this. Or if you want to send a shipment or 2 to me and I forward it immediately to you... if thats any help. Maybe it only complicates matters, but let me know if you want help.

Fran

woodturner-fran said:
rhysh...

nearly certain now that theres a 150euro threshold now for import duties/taxes. Might be worth considering splitting the order into a few batches to stay under this. Or if you want to send a shipment or 2 to me and I forward it immediately to you... if thats any help. Maybe it only complicates matters, but let me know if you want help.

Fran

Fran,

Here it is £10! Thanks for the offer, once i have worked things out i will contact you if need be.

Hi woodturner-fran. Reguarding the PCB, it is really easy. I used presentation transparency sheet where I print the PCB image, top and back. Then I aligned both film layers very precisely and keep them in place using a piece of scotch tape. I insert the PCB material behind the two films and expose both side one after an other. Just devellop and etch it. Voilà instant PCB. IT takes me about one hour to get the complete PCB.

I wrote a two parts article on home made PCB into Bas Horneman DIY magazine. I can send you a copy. The file are big however with a lot of pictures. Or maybe ask Bas for his magazine.

Here the PCB platted, ready for drilling.

Attachments

• phonoclone3_pcb_plated_s.jpg
    phonoclone3_pcb_plated_s.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 720
OT but....

Endezone: big difference though is that the phonoclone worked right out of the can, just tried a few different experiments,

The F5 has me stumped. Don't know what the hell is going on with it. Wouldn't mind but I had the chassis all painted, finished and ready to roll first! Anyway, i hope I get it sorted. Have to admit that now its down to changing components one by one to see what the story is.

You guys are going to have a very nice phonostage each!

Fran

Off Topic

woodturner-fran said:
Endezone: big difference though is that the phonoclone worked right out of the can, just tried a few different experiments,

The F5 has me stumped. Don't know what the hell is going on with it. Wouldn't mind but I had the chassis all painted, finished and ready to roll first! Anyway, i hope I get it sorted. Have to admit that now its down to changing components one by one to see what the story is.

You guys are going to have a very nice phonostage each!

Fran

Your F5 is starting to worry me. I have just spent over $500 on casing, transformers and capacitors. I hope the bloody thing will work!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.