Phonoclone 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Resistors can be sent for the price of postage stamp, but I wouldn't agonize over of getting a certain brand waiting on backorders etc. I second JBdV's idea: Grab a couple locally of whatever you can get. Really, it just doesn't make a significant difference. Also the value for R6 is only rough, it only affects the lowest bass frequencies. 750k would be ok, or 750k + x where x is a second resistor in series, 15k or 22k for example would be more that sufficient.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A non-update to post my records for the Phonoclone 3 group buy from Rhys. No orders were received since kffern got his last week.

I did finally get an email from Rhys and we arranged that he would send me my boards. I have not got confirmation that they were shipped however. Rhys is away at the moment on family business.

-- Boards Only --

Received:
||earsandeyes||2||The Netherlands||

Not received:
||rjm||2||Japan|| (no ship date)
||prooptiki||2||Greece|| (no ship date)
||Yan6||2||Canada||(no ship date)

-- Kits --

Received:
||JBdV||2||The Netherlands|| (received May 8)
||kffern||2||Australia|| (received May 27)

Not received:
||FinnC||2||Denmark||(shipped May 2)
||lancer||4||Singapore|| (shipped May 8)
||pchw||2||?|| (shipped May 26th)
||Tham||2||Malaysia|| (shipping "last week in May")
||noelectrix||2||Germany|| (arranged for delivery after June 1st)
||northernsky||2||Italy|| (no ship date)
||enzedone||2||New Zealand|| (no ship date)

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
^^^ The pc32e sets from me.

I am well aware of the irony , you don't have to rub it in!

I've never had a delivery from Olimex take longer than two weeks to get here. And I've done quite a few now.

Phonoclone 3 boards were sent from Olimex May 18th. Still nothing my end. I'm starting the search & rescue mission today.

VSPS 300 boards were sent from Olimex May 25th. I haven't got these either, but lets deal with things one at a time.

Will update with any new developments.

/R

Finally I fired up my Phonoclone 3 boards.

Everything went well!!!

I checked V+ and V- and voltage across the electrolytic caps for correct polarity, just to be on the safe side.

I did this using a lab power supply (2 times 17 V DC)

After that I got 4 diodes and hooked them up to the 2 x 12 V 80VA toroid and connected this power supply.

After that I checked for noise and hum on my system (with no cartridge connected): very low noise, no hum (at an audio level that would be above the pain barrier;-))

Then came the real thing: Starting up my turntable with DL304.
It works very good. To early to comment on the sound quality.
Tomorrow I will replace whatever I put in for 768K with the correct value.
I ordered 50 pieces from Farnell for 2 cents each (not Dale quality, but metal film 1 % it is)

I think have too little bass response but that is probably because of the wrong value for R6 right now.
(No idea what I put in there and I will open the enclosure tomorrow when I have the replacement resistors)

I will get back later with more information.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jan,

Bass response scales in direct proportion to R6, but it's a good idea to give the whole circuit a few days powered up to break in before drawing any conclusions. Also check that C3 is a reasonable size for the input impedance of the amplifier / preamplifier the Phonoclone is connected to.

Richard

Today I replaced what I used for R6 so far for a decent 768K 1 % Metal Film resistor.

I must have been colour blind when I took these resistors out of my stock for R6: I used 39K plus 33K in series in order to create 720 K!!!!! Sheeesshh

And I am able to see the difference between orange and yellow....

So this time testing was much more succesfull: the balance between highs and lows is great! Its all there.

I am convinced that the build was succesfull!!!

Over the weekend I will hook up my best stuff to the DL304/Phonoclone 3 and start real listening.

And of course I need to assemble the toroid into the second housing.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
All boards paid for before June 1st were shipped today, June 9th.

All board-related business will from now on be posted to the group buy thread only ... I promise!

rjm

@JBdV 72K instead of 768K? The bass would be -9dB at 100 Hz, and about -15 dB at 20 Hz compared to what it is supposed to be.

@RJM I would say that fits well with what I heared.
(Like bass controll was put at minimum)

By now the situation is rather different: I put 768K 1% basic metal film at the place of R6 and had the Phonoclone burn in for several days.

This thing really sings. The sound is very detailed and transparent!!!

@kffern If you want them I can send you a few 768K resistors

Thanks JBDV,
Would appreciate a few. Will PM you.
I have finished the boards using some local (Jaycar) metal film resistors and have managed to get 768.1k by choosing amongst 20 or so sets of 620+150k resistors. Still have to finish the power supply and wiring. I have used pins so will be able to swap out easily.

Hope to finish over the weekend.

RJM,
Have you any easy instructions to test the boards before I put in the IC's?

Regards,
Kevan

Help Please

:smash: :smash: HELP...PLEASE HELP!

I simply cannot download an openable copy of the latest schematics from Richard's posts on my mac which runs OS 10.4.9. I have most normal software incl Acrobat Professional, Creative suite, MS Office etc. nothing will open the schematics!

If you know a way PLEASE let me know, or send a copy which I can get at!

Very many thanks.

Brian

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
kffern said:
Have you any easy instructions to test the boards before I put in the IC's?

The "pc32e board.png" image in the download pack is intended for checking components.

I'd also double check the DC voltage on the power supply before connecting it to the boards. (NOTE: the measured DC voltage will not be +18 V or -18 V, it will be lower and the ripple will be very high as the filter capacitors are not attached yet. Don't worry about that, just check that the wire you are about to connect to the V++ pad is in fact registering positive.

Then, if you are me, you close the lid, hold your breath, and plug it in. If nothing goes "psst" with a plume of smoke, you are OK! Check the offset voltages at the input and output RCA before connecting it up to the audio system ... then give it a listen.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Help Please

brianco said:
:smash: :smash: HELP...PLEASE HELP!

I simply cannot download an openable copy of the latest schematics from Richard's posts on my mac which runs OS 10.4.9. I have most normal software incl Acrobat Professional, Creative suite, MS Office etc. nothing will open the schematics!

If you know a way PLEASE let me know, or send a copy which I can get at!

Very many thanks.

Brian

The schematics are compressed as .zip archives and the files therein are in the .sch and .brd formats that can be read with Eagle. A mac should be able to decompress the .zip archive OK, and you can download a mac version of Eagle from Cadsoft. It's free.

rhys please email me

Hi guys, I´ve lost a little how to react on this group buy. Hope rhys contacts me.
There is a new wiki, and a person who helps rhys. I thought it is just about the BPA 300 thing, but I also read `phonoclone`? If someone can instruct me , help is appreciated:eek:

stefan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.