Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Thanks Nick, good to know for a baseline. I was using some crap phones and would guess that at the volumes I had it turned up to it would be ear-splittingly loud.
I’ll try to take D-Gnd voltage measurements for all JFETs tonight. I don’t question the providence of any of them... 2SK369s are from teabag; 2SK170s came from a GB here years ago.
I do know that R13 is dropping 26.x Vdc across it on either channel.

Yes it is but there can be tolerances to impose such a DC difference. Try with VR1 also. The key is to have almost the same signal gain between your two channels. Do you have any means to check that? Like a test record, function generator, oscilloscope, DMM on AC, sound card and FFT software, whatever. (You have to make make 1:100 voltage divider with 1k&10R resistors in a connector and shielded cable for driving clean low mV from lab gen or pc card)

I checked with an old analog scope and the signal looks the same in both channels.

Yours is not a standard build for board and PSU so I can't tell for sure if there are issues right now. Normally its reported quiet even in MC mode without any special measures while just thrown around. Tell me your DC voltage on the drain of each JFET vs GND and if there's no doubt they are originals.

"Playing fine, noise is close to zero without a box."
I took some measurements:

Code:
board           1       2
Q1             8.42   8.41
Q3             4.54   4.32
Q4            11.51  11.28
Q5            11.42  11.24
Q6            23.61  23.36
TP1-TP2        3.25   3.47
Rail          35.51  35.22

I then looked at the outputs with a scope and with a DMM on AC mV. Scope showed a waveform:

board 1: 4.6 div @ 0.1V/div or .46V. Period was 8.3 @ 2mS, or 60Hz. DMM read 90mV
board 2: 4.5 div @ 50mV/div or .23V. Period the same. DMM read 45mV

Thank you, and thanks for the design and support! This thing certainly looks the business :)

Just as a further test, I powered this from my bench supply instead, and scope was showing the same thing. My scope is a Tek 465b, probably needs a recap, and my probes suck. They did however show me oscillation at 70Mhz in a Gilmore Dynafet I had previously never gotten working, so it isn't worthless...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
One other thing I didn’t mention, but my workbench is 3 feet or so from my house electrical panel. It always has seemed noisy; scope probes go crazy when not connected to a ground, etc. I should try this somewhere away from this area...

A very possible hum culprit that electrical field nearby source or there is some oscillation with the third party supply and this load so check the rail is thin, steady & flat, free of riding AC patterns.

They compute. Can you remind what is your Q5 and Q6 IDSS?

Code:
ref des	type	1	2
Q1	2SK369BL	12.41	12.41
Q2	2SK369BL		
Q3Z	2SA970BL	657.1	655.6
Q4	2SK170BL	8.37	8.34
Q5	2SK170BL	7.77	7.78
Q6	2SK170BL	8.37	8.56
Q7	2SK117GR	5.69 	5.71

When I posted them initially, you agreed :)

this is a 5mV MM configuration with 90.9R R2, 5.6K 1W R13, 1.82K R4, and using the PRP 6.754K R5.

I'll try to bring the board and the Fluke up to the kitchen on Saturday and see what the mV AC reads there.
Best,
Chris

Last edited:
I am just finishing my own construction RIAA with MC/MM pincode switch, all discreet transistors 2SC2244/2SA970, with servo nulling, two stages passive RIAA filtering. I will inform you about final measurements.

Attachments

• IMG-1305.JPG
    IMG-1305.JPG
    765.2 KB · Views: 316
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joztom,
It is impossible to measure AC with any digital instrument like my Fluke 17b. You need old fashioned analog instrument for this purpose or finding any oscillation.
Buy a new bench meter from Kiethley, Fluke or Keysight. Fluke really does their best work with hand held meters.

Analogue meters generally do not have the frequency response needed to do much over 400 Hz. The wideband meters use a "true RMS converter chip", same as the digital meters do (HP 3400 - excellent meter). For even higher frequencies I'll go to my HP 437B witch is good to GHz and is digital, or my 436B - same response. If you're talking about a VTVM, you have to check them. Newer digital bench meters are better though.

You can't make general comments like you did. They are often not true.

About your last post ...
:cop:
This is out of topic here. Open a thread for it.
:cop:

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joztom,
In any case analog meters are much better for measuring oscillations,
We'll agree to disagree then. I normally use a spectrum analyser for that job. About the only thing an analogue meter does better than a digital one is to show trends. However, if you look at the current Keysight meters (and a few others), they have addressed that in their DVMs. I like using analogue meters for some things. However, they are no longer better than a digital meter at all. About the only meter I don't have right now is an HP 3400. I would like one for sane money, just because.

-Chris