Simplistic NJFET RIAA

i also hear clicks above 15 and nothing more, and there is nothing except clicks to hear....
don't know where the problem is, but is not in mine and others ears :no:

Attachments

• IMG0008A.jpg
    IMG0008A.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG0009A.jpg
    IMG0009A.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG0010A.jpg
    IMG0010A.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG0011A.jpg
    IMG0011A.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG0012A.jpg
    IMG0012A.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG0013A.jpg
    IMG0013A.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG0014A.jpg
    IMG0014A.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I used my analog Tektronix 2225 scope and was no way to save images. I was supposed to use iPhone camera to capture screens, but curiosity to find the problem and fix it actually won.
The only thing left is uploaded to the forum file with noise recording.
However, I still have all boards on my table and bad cap there too. I can send you the whole setup with trany if you want to learn it in deep.
Not big deal with $20 shipping forward-back.
Please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Keantoken,

Please let me know if you do want to test it and I'll ship to you the whole setup with trany. As I mentioned, I'll take care of shipment to and return. If you ask me, I definitely would like to have your opinion about that setup. I hope you have 470r load for it and if not, just let me know and drop my resistors to that box too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try in 1080p to get those frequencies. Also, your sound card may be limited to 18/19Khz or your speakers/ headphones may not be able to reproduce those freqs.

of course, it may be my soundcard, tested it 3-ways - on laptop phones out, ipad phones out and played via airplay on my reciever. on laptop at 1080, on ipad at 720 (no 1080 option), and it was all the same, nothing above 15 just clicks. another hearing youtube test ran up to 17 on ipad (no link, sorry, its a sweep tone 20-20k) so i think sound card is 17capable.

i'm not sure where the problem is, but dont hurry judging your ears :)

and something on thread, simplistic riaa. simply said - the best sounding solution i ever had. sound is rich, forgiving low quality records, good ones sounding fabulous. tomorrow i will give it to a friend with extremely good setup for few days listenig tests.
anyway, lots of thanks to mr. Salas for his research and all of other participants for their output.
my preamp recieved housing from old usb cd-recorder, annoying colour, but as soon as weather gets warmer it will receive some black clothes ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 130
IMO, if you can afford Jupiter Copper cap on output and soniccraft Platinum as interstate coupling cap, it is simply the best phono stage I have heard. Both these caps were a step up from Mindorf SIO, clarity MR, and others tried. Audyn copper from EuropeAUdio is a close second to the Jupiter copper. Soniccraft has the Juipters on sale, and Europe Audio has the Audyn copper significantly cheaper than elsewhere.

IMO, if you can afford Jupiter Copper cap on output and soniccraft Platinum as interstate coupling cap, it is simply the best phono stage I have heard. Both these caps were a step up from Mindorf SIO, clarity MR, and others tried. Audyn copper from EuropeAUdio is a close second to the Jupiter copper. Soniccraft has the Juipters on sale, and Europe Audio has the Audyn copper significantly cheaper than elsewhere.

being afraid of loosing LF performance i oversized interstage and output cap, used 100n and 3300n, which led to good transition of frequencies above 6-7 hz. before going to high quality caps i would like to test smaller caps in order to arrange kind of rumble-filter with curve starting from lets say 30hz. after settling at some cap size i may go to better ones :) and metal-film resistors. this process will take some time....

This just reminds me how irrelevant outside a specific setup/ears are all cap recommendations. The Platinums i simply cannot stand, no opinion on the Jupiter Copper, but if they are anything like the old Jupiters you are combining diametrically opposed sonic signatures in the vain hope of achieving a neutral result. IME this never works outside of a short term initial euphoria :)

Very true. The platinum were tried after Vcaps and Aura T,in the interstage position simply as a less expensive option. I prefer the Aura T as interstage, but Platinums are very close and have very little signature of their own. This was out main goal for that cap. As to the Jupiter copper, I am not sure if they are like the old ones, as I have not tried the old ones, but in the output position, I have directly compared Jupiter HT Flat Stacked, Mundorf SIO, Vlarity MR, Russian K75 bypassed with Teflon, Audyn copper, Auricap XO, Obbligato Oil, and a few others. My recommendation is not flippant and is not based on money. We have slowly tried many different variations over 2-3 year period and settled on these. I believe RCruz has tried the Teflon and Jupiter combo and would agree that it is an extremely capable combination. I am firm believer that the underlying topology is the key, but I believe the simplistic has an excellent ability to show changes in the setup. YMMV.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I did try many caps and the Jupiter copper are my actual choice for the output.
It renders lots of microdetail while keeping the picture quite organic.
Wood instruments and female voices are presented you a real feel to it.
Piano is quite good also.

As for interstage I am inclined to the vcap copper on Teflon.

Gentlemen, you may well be right about the Jupiters. Anyway, it is much easier for me to get a pair than persist pointlessly arguing :)

What is interesting though is the capacitor restlessness the simplistic induces: build a tube phono and cap choice becomes a much less pressing issue. I wonder why is that. Harmonic structure we are trying to compensate with cap signatures?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
High voltage clamps the caps stronger while in low voltage they become more apparent. Also in simple tube phonos which are architecturally related to the simplistic it is not easy to encounter so much resolution due to the FFT noise floor is usually much higher. But tonally they are relatives. Whenever the hardcore DIYer music lover smells he can do even a wee bit better then the only way to stop him is to void his credit card :D