Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
While waiting for a suitable case I have the board working on my bench and I am profiting to do some measurements.

Everything looks perfect but when I try to measure Q6 gate, every time the probe touches Q4 - R10 node, the voltage starts to drop.... Why does it behave like that ?

The board is not connected to anything so there is no load on the output .... The input is also unloaded but I left R1 = 1Meg ..... Every time I short the input, the leds on Q3 base flicker.... why should this happen ?

Can I replace two 2SK170BL for one 2SK369BL (Q1 and Q2)? The reason I ask is I have a medium output MC (.7mv) and according to the instructions, I sould use only one 369 and resistor (remove Q2/R3). I realize the 170 will need to in the same IDSS ma range (10 to 15) as the 369. Wouldn't two 170 be quieter than one 369?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
They are more useful in very low input signal duty but if having spares its alright. Got to keep about same voltage headroom across the output stage buffer as was with the K170s. If higher idss, as usual with most 369BL, the R in the rail's last RC must become smaller. Also, by using the oscope, make sure it does not react on output interconnects due to the higher Yfs.