Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You will need two 34-36VAC feeds for two bridges and main capacitors. 1.41 is not reached dead on bcs of losses. Maybe 1.33. You can test with 470R 10W dummies across the raw DC outputs for final voltage level at a consumption reminding the FSP channels main CCS. Up to 50V is safe.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Am I right in thinking that with a 230v - 2x18vAC transformer (from an old, disbanded project), on a 240v supply (UK) I would be looking at 37.6vAC x 1.42 = 53vDC less diode losses etc., at the Folded shunt boards? Is this too high?

That's what I had when I tried with 18V secondaries.I think the recommended is 46V but you could always use dropper resistors if using the GB boards but why waste voltage as heat.
I bought a toroidal from Air Link with 30V secs. which actually gave close to 34V as where I live the mains never drops below 240.
Air Link have a quick turn around;ordered saturday arrived this morning;they must keep a good stock.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
But the Airlink 230/30+30 gave 46.5+46.5VDC because we barely load it to its true current ability. I would order same secondaries and VA model from same manufacturer as Marra if in your shoes. Because all unknown factors are already tested. I would only ask them if they offer magnetic shielding peripheral band as an extra option.

Thank you. Indeed it is to be a DCB1 buffer preamp with the FSP as integrated RIAA. Akouo select & volume with a Muses 72320 chip.

It doesnt show at the pic but the boards are actually piled up to the final height so the legs are about right. Ill solder them when its fixated.

I am to fodder the alubox with thin ply and fodder the heatsinks even more so they only radiate to the outside.

The DCB1 will have its own foddered compartment with heatsinks with the same principle.

Plus a separate PSU box with a lot of different voltages in the umbilical cord connecting the two.

Stajo,

It looks like a very practical solution. My only question is, if you are to have a separate power supply unit feeding the unit by an umbilical, isn't it better to bring DC into the pre-amp with the umbilical, rather than AC? The DCB1 has onboard rectification. Are you planning to move the rectification off the DCB1 board and into the PSU box?

My matched pairs of 2SK170BL are as follows:

6.60 mA pair
6.89 mA pair
7.07 mA pair
7.39 mA pair
7.47 mA pair
7.52 mA pair
7.62 mA pair
8.12 mA pair

They were, however, all tested with 9v, back when building DCB1, F5, etc.

I also have a near match at 9.80 / 9.96, which when I retested at 22v, came out at 10.31 / 10.50 which shows that voltage is critical to evaluating IDSS.

Should they all be retested please, and if so at what voltage?

Stajo,

It looks like a very practical solution. My only question is, if you are to have a separate power supply unit feeding the unit by an umbilical, isn't it better to bring DC into the pre-amp with the umbilical, rather than AC? The DCB1 has onboard rectification. Are you planning to move the rectification off the DCB1 board and into the PSU box?

Yes. I make a pre reg filter C-R or C-L in the PSU-Box and plug directly on to the onboard C.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
That's nice bcs the Decca is peculiar. So, given the trafo was loaded, it should have about 1.35 full wave rectification ratio DC/AC in this app. Is it 80-100VA rated model?

I went for the 120VA as it was only a couple of pounds difference and added an interwinding screen.Didn't bother with the Goss band as the power supply is in a separate case so I didn't think it was necessary.