Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Does it stay cool enough?

The Mosfets are bolted to the case. After listening for about 3 hours the box is slightly warm.

I am becoming a convert to Vinyl. It sounds great. :D
All this after getting a Technics SL-DL1 for £12.50. What will a moving coil cartridge sound like he ponders....?

Salas:

Ideally I would like to fit the RIAA circuit, my Hypnotize DCB1, and an active crossover in one box. This front end sounds so good that it deserves to be in a smart enclosure. Is this a bad idea? Should the RIAA be kept separate?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It has been combined before, if transformers and AC cabling of any kind are kept in a separate box there will be no hum penalty and you avoid interconnects. Integration is a benefit signal routing wise.

A high output low cost MC like Denon DL-110 will give you a good step over most budget MM.

Is it a P-Mount type cartridge only TT though? Parallel tracker non the less. Competent.

?AUDIO? Technics SL-DL1 -TEST- - YouTube

Yes it's p-mount but it seems very competent as you say.

I must have brought home about £1000 (76 boxed sets alone) of unwanted quality vinyl from our music dept. There' a lot of stuff that I've never heard. Mainly classical. I have just listened to Lohengrin - it's as if I'm in the auditorium!

Your circuit has certainly put a smile on my face Salas. I owe you some beer mate.:cheers:

Now should I pursue that Townshend deck with Goldring Eroica cartridge. It will certainly be more than £12.50.

PS like the jazz clip:)

I am looking for a new T4P cartridge, but I keep getting confused. The AT92ECD is supposed to be the best below $50, but I can get the AT311EP for the same price. At the same time, I heard the 92ECD is better. Not sure what to think about all this. The 91ECD has a .4/.7 instead of .3/.7, so theoretically it will pick up less noise? But I'm not afraid of using wood glue, maybe I shouldn't worry about noise...

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am looking for a new T4P cartridge, but I keep getting confused. The AT92ECD is supposed to be the best below $50, but I can get the AT311EP for the same price. At the same time, I heard the 92ECD is better. Not sure what to think about all this. The 91ECD has a .4/.7 instead of .3/.7, so theoretically it will pick up less noise? But I'm not afraid of using wood glue, maybe I shouldn't worry about noise...

Kean don't know really, 311EP is supposed to be the top dog as poised in gamut by AT themselves, isn't it? It could be very possible some less quality arms and TTs find a fatter stylus more forgiving though. Someone with direct experience should give real clues.

Spent a few hours looking for reviews of these carts with various posh shaped stylii. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reach a conclusion either. I'm very tempted to spend 250 euros on an Ortofon X1.