Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Anyone compared this phono preamps? I've the EB320, and I've a dubt:
to make the Salas one or to supply the Borbely one with 1.2R.
Any suggest?

Had one made for a friend who has a Zanden 1200S. He took it out and uses the simplistic, says he prefers it. His cart is Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement. You can see the orphaned Zanden PSU on the floor. About EB320, haven't chanced on any.

Attachments

• DSCF2724.jpg
    DSCF2724.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 320
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I had one EB320 for some time and than I built the simplistic with V12 and this one is much bolder and spacious.

With the V12R is even better providing a wider soundstage tempered with just the righ amount of presence and attack.

In fact I compared it with numerous high end machines and I did not find anything near it´s ability to present high definition with sweetness.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've had a look at my J-fets and I have the following in higher values:

8.3-8.5mA - 3
8.6-8.8 - 6
8.9-9.1 - 10
9.2-9.4 - 14
9.5-9.7 - 14
9.8-10 - 7
10.1-10.3 - 14
10.4-10.6 - 15
10.7-10.9 - 19
11-11.2 - 6

So it looks like a design that uses 10.7-10.9 would be best for me. Ultimately I plan to build two of the 60dB phono stages using V1.2R regs for both of my systems, plus any other tips I can use to get the best possible performance.

Will look into it soon.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Say one side swing to + 1V other sving to -1 =2V duble of one single
duble voltagge = 3 dB

Double the voltage=+6dB. Power is Log10, voltage is Log20. Two same amps add 3dB of noise because their self noise is non correlated due to its random nature. So its a net 3dB dynamic range increase if not judged on equal nominal level with SE. Correlated noise is tending to cancel out depending on CMRR. That is what balanced is for.

Hi Sallas.

I had the plesure of many hours listening with the Simplistic powered by LAC batteries and the Reflektor

I still had oscillation from LM317 Pre regulators and as you sugested I powered straigt from CRC caps and reflektor and it works fine

I must say that for such a simple design simplistic is realy realy good and would reccomend any body to give it a try.

Only one bad point, and most probably my build, is the (not much realy) Hum from mains.
I recon is pick up from AC powered motor on turn table.

Most probably I was used to not hear this with my balanced INA satge.

Cristmass holidays new Job and life in general + a very cold loft have slowed me down a fair bit.

I am at present triing to build The Moving coil head amplifier from Small signal audio design Douglas Self.
Once that is done I will go back to Simplistic maybe this time with the standard build (I was using 24 V )and report back