Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
RCruz said:
I did a new layout so I can fit the individual heatsinks....

I calculated a led string dropout of 6,39v, using 14r I have ICCS with load = 174 mA

Using R1 = 10, I get 259mA... is this viable ?

Ricardo

Depends on the Vgs of the exact part, but with such Leds I would surely use the 14R so not to overshoot 200mA.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes if Vgs will be like that. You just measure the drop across the resistor in the end, and if its non usefully excessive, you make it higher R. I prefer the yellows slightly for best noise also. Its that the greens are easier to predict for those they don't match them.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
RCruz said:
Hi Salas

After several hours designing.... I hope you agree with this layout.

It will surely work. Its better than the previous one. With very short and twisted cables to the load. But what Andrew says is that if you are going to make a PCB, you can make it with nodes ready for ''remote sensing''. The benefits are, that the reference and driving circuit can ''sense'' and correct for the cable to the load impedance. That becomes more critical if you put the shunt in another box with a transformer, or even for vaporizing the short length if near. There is some benefit in perfection, if near the load just incremental, but you are to decide. Here is the remote sensing with 4 wires for the V1 shunt.

Attachments

• 28vrmsens.gif
    28vrmsens.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 505
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, W1,2,3,4. They go to the same places on the riaa really, they just help the shunt to ''see'' the length and compensate, by returning to different points on it. If you gonna have it just next to the riaa board, the benefit is going to be small I remind you.

newbie need help

Hello to all,
I built one channel of these 2 circuits:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

By net_urbano

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

By net_urbano

the rectifiers diodes, the bulk C 10000uF, the shunt and the RIAA are together all on a single perforated board.
Before to build the second channell, for try, i connect the output of the riaa to a stax srm-313 headphone amplifier. What I hear in headphones is a very thiny music and a big hum. Reading the thread I saw that Thomo had a similar problem to mine and Salas suggested to measure some voltages because it is possible that last Q (buffer NJFET) has higher than calculated Idss and drops its Vd too much, Vg under its Vs, so it won’t work.
First of all I checked all the wiring, and all the parts are correctly oriented.
Than i measured some voltages:

Q5: VD = 17,7V; VS = 6,83V (OK?); VG = 6,80V (BAD);
Q3 BASE = 7,62V (OK?); Q3 COLLECTOR = 15,07V (OK; PSU = 24,6V)
Q1: VD = 6,96V (OK)

The Idss of Q5 is 9,7mA so i changed it with another one with Idss = 8mA but the problem remains the same. Big hum, no music. Q5 Vs is now = Q5 VG: 6,72V.

Can someone help me ?

Luca