Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ART-9 is so good I really don't know how far behind it may be left or not if mounted on that same system. Surely the Zep played without any congestion, smooth not HF noisy, and full. Like in a live jam session not through strained Hi-Fi. There was an ambient aura enveloping the band as they were competing each other. Telling you they were together. Due to very smooth natural midrange. Else the Zep can turn ears to biscuits when replayed that loud. In Bonham parts the heft of the drums was there with bass body and mids thwack sync. Not detached.

"Page said that the album took only about 36 hours of studio time (over a span of a few weeks) to create (including mixing), adding that he knew this because of the amount charged on the studio bill. One of the primary reasons for the short recording time was that the material selected for the album had been well-rehearsed and pre-arranged by the band on the Scandinavian tour."

Source Wikipedia

Hi all, I'm so excited I got to share a pic with you!

I just finished one channel of the UFSP and connected it, playing a very nice LP right now!

Currently right channel only, the left is still going through my Bugle 2 that this is going to replace.

I'm running at high gain from a Lyra Helikon SL (.22 mV). First impression is really good (but details later, it's hard to tell from my mixed debugging setup).

Noise seems minimal, certainly much better than the Bugle2, even without the proper grounding and shielding in place.

Thank you Salas and thank you Teabag for this wonderful design and carefully put together kit!

Attachments

• 2020-06-27-DSCF6585.jpg
    2020-06-27-DSCF6585.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 483
One channel up and running here as well.

Set the bias on the UBiB to 34v before connecting the main board, set the input load at 47K, and gain for 43db.

TP was 4.92v at start, dialed the UBiB down to 32.3v and the bias is steady at 4.00v with minor adjustments to the main board pot.

On this board, I measured IDSS of Q4 @ 9.39, Q5 @ 9.47, and Q6 @ 10.27 prior to install. Set R8 @ 54R and R11 @ 1.3K. Voltage across R10 is 23.4v and voltage across R11 is 11.68v. Should I increase the value of R11 to get closer to 14v?

C3 is a .1uF FT-3 and C4 is a Solen (both of which I had on hand). Once everything is boxed up and running, I’ll start rolling some caps. Thinking a Miflex KPCU for C3. I haven’t used the CMR before, so I’m leaning toward getting a pair for this build. I have some Mundorf Supreme 2.2uf in my Valve Itch so I’ll probably give those a roll too if all goes well.

I had really hoped to put the amp in a 1U chassis, but it’s gonna be real tight. I purchased the shortest electrolytic caps I could, but it’s going to be challenging keeping under 40mm high I think with C3/C4 on board.

Attachments

• 868CFECC-A2EE-4D70-889D-FE2E2FC557F0.jpeg
    868CFECC-A2EE-4D70-889D-FE2E2FC557F0.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 411
I can't make the numbers work for a 1U chassis with the sweet caps Tea included in the kits (all tall caps slightly over 40mm). Plus I have some fancy-ish Clarity caps that will break the height. Non-ultra version is totally 1U-able with shorter heatsinks. So it's a 2U or custom (or sourcing all new sub-30mm caps and same height restriction for C3, C4). (my personal build will be custom around 50mm-60mm height all in).

Question: Are the LED array values for Ultra the same as previous version? I don't see it noted anywhere that the voltage references are different. Tea included a bunch of red LEDs.