Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Let me share some pics of my FSP :). As discussed I did wrap the transformer with copper sheet. Thanks Salas.

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 389
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 362
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 352
I once had a chance listening to Devialet with a Sonus Faber speaker and that's an experience i cannot forget. That sound is stuck in my head. I have a few DIY amp and I can say the combo that I have now is the best to my ears and to add the FSP on that combo is an additional enjoyment to our living room. Once again thank you very much.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Some future cartridge upgrade when the needle gets old, like a budget high output MC, Denon DL110 for instance, or going to the black Ortofon needle on your 2M ($$) could bring further joy. Thank you as well for your build feedback and nice photos. There is no audible hum we were afraid of to be possibly coming from the PSU in the end I would suppose.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you Sirs :).

is it normal the gain of FSP is lower than other source? whenever I change from PHONO to CD on my preamp the CD is having a higher volume.
Yes its normal -10dBV consumer standard. 300-400mV AC at 0dB vinyl record level (5cm/sec velocity) with 4mV nominal MM carts. DAC owes to be higher. Although not always. Soekris DAM was about the same level with FSP in my system for instance. Aune S16 was higher, but I could spare a few bits from the 64bit lossless volume slider in Foobar and normalize. Records do peak above 0dB though and the FSP gain must be kept around -10dBV output to avoid distortion overload in clicks and pops. 40dB gain for MM cartridge is almost a universal standard and FSP does not differ in that respect. If your line preamp that I see has a screen and maybe has memories with gain presets give it +6dB for phono input. If not having such a facility, OK its not the end of the world especially when having remote control volume.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well noted Salas, thanks for the info.
I have the Logitech Harmony always ready for action it is now controlling my system :D.
Given that digital recordings average at about -15dB with 0dB roof and LP at about -5dB with over the roof allowance I have also listened to records (especially 45rpm dynamic editions) that sound about the same average loudness with 2V RMS at 0dB DAC. Its not only the voltage standards but the recording levels of various productions play a big role too. When having a remote control, no worries at all.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Have your turntable sound opened a little after a few days of FSP use? It usually sounds somewhat better after the electrolytic parts have flexed from storage. That is the time when you rethink the C2Y value if you feel the treble is less or more than neutral for a given full audio system in a particular room, or you are happy and let it be. Its the last evaluation stage of a new FSP build normally.