Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have The phono amp fired up after a few small issues I had to fix and now looks good.

Except:

My DC rails are Low at 31.5V with V2RX at FULL ROTATION. With VR1 at FULL ROTATION I get 3.62V at the Test points.

R3X is 9.1kohms and R6 is 27ohms - Should I increase R3X?

AC secondary is 43V
Raw DC is 57.2V
Raw DC with boards connected is 49V

Thanks Salas!

If you build this project according to the build guide, the PSU chassis is connected to safety earth, but the 0V is isolated from that earth by a network consisting of a resistor in parallel with a pair of diodes. The amplifier chassis is connected to 0V. If you connect the screen to chassis at both ends you effectively bypass that isolating network. I don't think that is a good idea. I suppose you could connect the amplifier end of the shield to the chassis through a small capacitor to have a low impedance path for high frequencies.
The screen/shield does not go to audio ground.
Screen /shield goes to chassis at both ends.

The two signal wires inside the screen/shield go to the signal terminations. They are the audio connections.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Correct, if you will connect the DC umbilical cable's shield at both ends its going to bypass the anti-parallel diodes PE lift for the signal GND. Use a 100nF cap between shield and the phono chassis end if you worry about much present RFI. There is a 100nF already between (+) & (0) raw on the FSP's PCB DC input also. Since the standard grounding scheme has worked for so many builds successfully until now, better only start to think about revisions or additions in case of persistent unusual hardness in sound and/or intruding weird noises.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Okay, so I have 31.6V and 31.9V @ 3.6v TP leaving some rotational range on VR2X.

Listened all day yesterday and today. Amazing Sound!

Thanks for all of your help and for the work involved.:cheers:

BTW, ground: I used 2 aluminum chassis bases(wood covers and faceplates will be built) that I constructed. I'm waiting for 4 pin connectors to arrive so I just ran 4 non shielded hook-up wires to the boards, the boards are connected to its chassis and ground terminal. TT ground wire is clipped on - No noise is present:)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Clearaudio Maestro Wood 3.6mv, 47k - First Gen, not the new V-2
Mounted to Rb300 that I rewired and upgraded the counterweight.
Nottingham Hyperspace with PS

I installed 2.2ufd for C4 out and I'm running it into a Mezmerize. This should be good?

Input dip switch all off, so only 47k in right now.
Built to gain of 40db.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That was my next question. I'm using a 50k pot with the 560k resistors but after some reading today I saw your statement saying, not to do this way, only as last resort etc.

so, I ordered a 20k pot and I'll install the associated resistor values.

Thanks!

Well, its not bad using 50K pot, but with 20K it was subjectively more open sounding IMHO. Faster rise time on the scope technically due to the pot's value interaction with the highish K170 JFET input capacitance is the reason.

Hi Nick,

I have some question for you.
I finalized my final version of Raw DC, but during my trials I might jumped little over 50V and also got nasty oscillations on KM due to bed PCB design. All that is fixed now, but I started to hear some clicks when I start FSP.
I verified and it is not from Raw DC PSU since I can't see anything on scope on it under 470R load. It is about 2mV ripple and some typical high frequency background noise, but do not see any spikes, ringing and etc..
I have 46.2-48.9V into FSP now, depend to home AC fluctuations during the day time and load.
I assume it is something got bed on shunt section.
I'm uploading recording and might you will give me some idea when to look.
Just rename it to *.m4a
Thank you.

Attachments

• New Recording.txt
    123.4 KB · Views: 45