Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Having bit different optimum rails between channels is normal and reflects the little different bias needs of the various close but never 100% close JFETS. VR1 is like a half circuit vernier for VR2. Its able to alter the input stage's rail level only. You can use it for help in bias or not, I would say only if the main rails in the two channels tend to go grossly apart for correct TP, but the bulk of adjustment must come from VR2.

So I finally got everything together and powered up. With 27Vdc on the rail TP1 is 7.9V.
R2,3 should have been closer to 9r but 10r was the closest available in TNPW.
Q1,Q2 were labeled 13.84.
7.9V across four leds
R13 1.2k with Q1,2 populated.
Now for the big questions........
If I replace R2,3 with 9r will TP1 become adjustable within the recommended 3.6V range?
What does VR1 resolution adjustment do?

Attachments

• IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
You don't want TP1 3.6V, you want TP1-TP2 to be 3.6V. TP1 is the positive end of the chain of 4 LED's, so it is 7.9V above ground. TP2 is the junction of R14 and R4 (took me forever to find it), it is the voltage on the collector of Q3. The 3.6V measurement is the base-collector voltage on Q3.

Your rail voltage seems low.

The build guide for this circuit says the rail voltage should be ~35V. Many of us have found it needs to be a little lower, like 32-33V. Where did you see 24-27V rails?

VR1 basically gives you finer control over front-end rail voltage to get the TP1-TP2 voltage right. If TP1-TP2 is 7.9V (TP1 higher), and your string of 4 LEDs is 7.9V, then the junction of R4/R14/Q3 collector is at 0V. I will let someone smarter than me figure out what that means. Either way I'm pretty sure your rail voltages are too low.