Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think that 103 and 103R are great colored carts for taste and a perfect example of vintage character and personality. I have mine always near. Can be very engaging. Especially on heavy vintage arms. Poor man's SPU. But when moving to modern carts for various reasons why bastardize and not buying thoroughbred body, engine, cantilever, tip package when modding 103 for body and moving parts can be as expensive?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I can answer one part of the question. AT33 series will move you to very noticeable higher resolution and neutrality territory vs normal 103. Can't answer the what if part (103 on boron and line contact). I would discard the plastic body in that case too.

Thanks Salas for the heads up on the AT33PTG/II, Ive had a look at a few reviews and its and def worth consideration after all as you say its not really that much more expensive from a "quality" DL103R.

As you suggest Im currently buying components and no.1 priority of course are the NOS items likely to become extinct soonish (ie 2SK107s etc..).

Last edited: