Simplistic NJFET RIAA

HEXFRED diodes for rectifier, then you placed 1 Ohm 10W resistor, and then Mundotrf 10,000µF /
this is effectively an RC PSU.
the 1r0 of added resistance changes little r to Big R.
This reduces the first charge current and spreads out the re-charge current over a greater proportion of the mains waveform, resulting in lower current peaks for the re-charge current.

Right to the first question.

If you feel sound could be clearer, you can bypass the EL caps for sure... this will change treble presentation.... but it is a trial and error situation.
If your supply is feeding "good DC" to your amplifier then adding more capacitance at the far end of the cable should not affect the sound coming from the amplifier.

If the amplifier needs a very good DC supply at it's power pins, then sort the DC supply AT THE POWER PINS, not at the far end of cables.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Andrew

I agree with you.... placing aditional caps Inside the riaa case near the amp does little to the sound but adding some extra carefully chosen caps on the psu case, near the smoothing caps can produce really strong effects.

I started with 15r, then 6r8, then 4r7 and settled with 1r before the smoothing caps. The higher value résistors seem to lower noise floor but somehow "muffles" the sound picture that loses impact and size.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Time to start the psu.

Attachments

• 20150105_193826[1].jpg
    20150105_193826[1].jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 216
Hi Andrew

I agree with you.... placing aditional caps Inside the riaa case near the amp does little to the sound but adding some extra carefully chosen caps on the psu case, near the smoothing caps can produce really strong effects............
I am alleging the opposite.

But if you have dirty DC and bring that dirty DC to the inside of the sensitive amplifier without filtering at the entry to the screening chassis then expect interference to affect your internal circuits.
Sometimes that interference will be audible.

But trying to filter the interference too early leaves the cables still able to pick up interference. And then to inject that interference to sensitive circuits once the cable enters the screening chassis.

You have two different jobs when the circuits are susceptible to interference.
Make the DC good. Adding an RC at the PSU end is good, provided the final C is adequate to maintain a stable non varying DC.
Add an RF filter to EVERY cable that enters/leaves the screening chassis/case.

And for good measure if the susceptible circuits have a changing current then good decoupling at the circuit is required.

None of this has anything to do with
If you feel sound could be clearer, you can bypass the EL caps for sure... this will change treble presentation...

Last edited: