Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Salas and AndrewT for your advice and suggestions.

I have redrawn my pcb layout as per Salas advice and would like you to have a look to make sure I understood correctly. I have a couple cylindrical MKPs which I'll mount vertically.

When I made a similar HV Regulator (again by Salas - thanks!) I didn't have much luck. But then, luckily a DIYA board was made available. I don't wish to go the same route!

Thanks in advance and all the best for the festive season to all DIYA members

Looks alright I guess.

OK. Is there any place where to get a pcb or a complete kit?

I have a completed build of the phono stage made from the official Tea Bag PCB's I am selling if you have any interest.

It's a two box build with the raw DC supply in an aluminium box and the phono stage in a matching box with an umbilical cable.

This is the high gain version for MC cartridges only. Top quality components throughout.

Let me know if you are interested and I will mail you some pictures.

Now why do you people call this project "Simplistic"? It is very very far from being so.

Simplistic is something like Figure 1 here:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lme49720.pdf

Has anyone built that and compared it in audio quality with the NJFET design?

Tea-Bag has kindly sent me all the information I need. It would be much more expensive than what I was planning to.

Joined 2006
Paid Member

Attachments

• Bang-&-Olufsen-MMC20CL-cartridge.jpg
    Bang-&-Olufsen-MMC20CL-cartridge.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 234
  • beogram4002_4004a.jpg
    beogram4002_4004a.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 4703.jpg
    4703.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 220
Joined 2006
Paid Member
My latest Salas Folded boards are up and running..... The cool work done in the riaa filter produced it's benefic results.... I am glad that this time the build worked perfectly from the start without any need for fine tunning.... just followed my calc and used carefully measured parts.

What a blast.

You asked why the naming, so that was the reasoning answer. If you want something simpler in the to put together sense, then go chips and global NFB. This one is more like building a tubes phono sans the heaters.

Yes, it's probably so. And I'm not such a fan of tubes.

It was adviced to me to use a cascode at the input, but at the same time I was told to be careful about paralleling the input jfets, as that might be useful with MC carts, and not MMs. Is that so? What would you advise?

My plan is to use battery supply, so what should be the minimum I should use?

Where can I find the official pcb design?

Last edited: