Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Concerning the ELCAP option

Dear Mr. Salas,

Happy new year to you and to all!

If it has been discussed I have missed it but could you tell us more about the ELCAP vs. the Zobel option?

If one elects to use ELCAP and not use an electrolytic does the value still need to be 22 uF?

Just curious if a film cap might change that ...

Which version do you use (at the moment)?

Thanks,

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ELCAP=Electrolytic Capacitor

Value=22uF >50V type=Normal ESR high quality brand

Me I prefer the MKP4.7uF+1.2R Zobel for bit better clarity but the ELCAP can give a warmer rendition if you got a hyped up rather cold cartridge or other alike cold link in some hi-fi chain. Its just an option I planted for synergy tweak potential. Also each brand and type of ELCAP can have a bit different impact.

Happy new year 2U2!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
i did that before and never burned any cart :)

:D Didn't we all? JFET on input and capacitor on the output, no DC.

I hope only...For no bad transient either by working the input connections as powered on with a cart already on the output side. You never know, it can swing 22Vpk-pk on AC before distortion, half clipped it can go smack on 3rd stage's B+.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
:D Didn't we all? JFET on input and capacitor on the output, no DC.

I hope only...For no bad transient either by working the input connections as powered on with a cart already on the output side. You never know, it can swing 22Vpk-pk on AC before distortion, half clipped it can go smack on 3rd stage's B+.

Hehe... do not touch the inputs if you connect the cart to the outputs :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That thing has a gazillion fets & bjts in parallel.:D Just to compare that to a bare bones phono conceived to can be made simply & successfully for all cart types targeting no technical excess, makes him not just a critic but a wishful thinker also. :) We would be happy if he will say its OK for natural enough music I guess vs such stuff. And to can find a couple of economic carts and arms that they fit it best to recommend us back.;)

Getting closer!

Cases arrived today! I ordered them from Hong Kong on Dec 28, and I did not expect to see them until late January, so I am very please.

A little 11-inch wide "rack mount" :) for the raw PSU:

DSC_5960.JPG

Should be enough room for everything.

DSC_5965.JPG

A larger 16-inch wide fake rack-mount for the folded:

DSC_5962.JPG

Again, should be plenty of space.

DSC_5968.JPG

I guess my next couple of weekends will be spent drilling and cutting metal, and wiring the raw PSU.