Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I'd like the bass a bit tighter, but that could also be because of the output cap. I'll let it run for a few days with the JFX cap and then i'll try k73-16, solen etc.
It sounds so good with its current form, that it got me thinking what it would sound like with a mundorf supreme at it's output

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you mean the interconnect cable coming from the TT is a coaxial. The cables from the rca to board is PTFE silver plated cable which i didnt even twist very well

Is coaxial shielded cable for phono to RCAs wiring somehow unpopular? Its the only technically correct method at such low level. For inputs connection at least.

Is coaxial shielded cable for phono to RCAs wiring somehow unpopular? Its the only technically correct method at such low level. For inputs connection at least.

Have no fear, im getting some rg174 cable next week to properly implement this phono. :D

Listening now to The Waterboys - This Is The Sea. That LP has a very weird metallic edge to the sound, at least in the systems i listened to it so far. With your phono it sounds lovely. It still is "bright" as a recording but there is no fatigue. Excellent

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Very good for exploiting a DL110. To have pulled so much more so fast from it than on your upgraded with parts and shunt PSUs MF V-LPS is no little thing. Amazing what musicality some affordable carts can offer. You will tune the phono best to it but it won't become an expensive LMC of course. Still maybe the best value for money entry MC out there though. What loading value you use for it as we speak?

Would you share the links to these vendors? I'm waiting for C3/C4, 2sk170bl's, trafos, Welwyn 0,1% resistors and Vishay VAR's for RIAA and R1/R14. Then a test in free air and decide boxing...

Regards

Hey Turbon, sorry I didn't reply.

Aviation Plug GX16 3-Pin/4-Pin/5-Pin/6-Pin Male & Female Wire Panel Chassis Connector - modDIY.com

I found the cases through aliexpress.com, the actual supplier was yonggu-enclosure.com. Their prices were good and, more importantly, shipping was free!

example: Aliexpress.com : Buy (10piece ) Hot saler Aluminum enclosure /aluminum extruded electronic box 46.2x29.6x90mm(wxhxl) from Reliable box mirror suppliers on Yonggu Enclosure

Very good for exploiting a DL110. To have pulled so much more so fast from it than on your upgraded with parts and shunt PSUs MF V-LPS is no little thing. Amazing what musicality some affordable carts can offer. You will tune the phono best to it but it won't become an expensive LMC of course. Still maybe the best value for money entry MC out there though. What loading value you use for it as we speak?

Loading value is 4.7Kohms (amtrans resistor). I like the denons. I used to have DL160 which one channel died unexpectedly so i replaced it with the DL110 because production of DL160 stopped. A friend of mine has a Clearaudio cart (dont remember model) which was about the same price as DL160 (slightly more expensive) and i prefered the Denon. I still remember the face of a guy at a known hi-end store were i took my TT and cart to be setup. He spinned a "torture" LP to see the trackability of the DL160 and he couldnt believe what he saw :D . It's an excellent budget cart

Hey Turbon, sorry I didn't reply.

Aviation Plug GX16 3-Pin/4-Pin/5-Pin/6-Pin Male & Female Wire Panel Chassis Connector - modDIY.com

I found the cases through aliexpress.com, the actual supplier was yonggu-enclosure.com. Their prices were good and, more importantly, shipping was free!

example: Aliexpress.com : Buy (10piece ) Hot saler Aluminum enclosure /aluminum extruded electronic box 46.2x29.6x90mm(wxhxl) from Reliable box mirror suppliers on Yonggu Enclosure

No probs nezbleu - I would have asked you again when closing in on boxing day :)...

But thanks a lot - I'll check them out.

Regards

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
24bit soundcards, mainly external USB ones. Lpad as you do and then chain the phono in their loop. You can use RightMark Audio Analyzer freeware to FFT or ARTA etc. When you will utilize FR mode, such software will send noise stimulus and properly arrange the chart, or you will have to set some params manually so to finally see the +/-20dB audio spectrum undulation and check the levels per spot frequencies against a RIAA spec chart. It averages the noise signal when reading and gives a distinct enough chart line, or you tell it to. If you want to directly judge deviation against flat you will need an Anti-RIAA circuit instead of just an Lpad of course but that will factor in its own inaccuracy. It has embedded 40 or 60dB padded outputs usually. You got to loop the card on its own and look for its FR deviations first, some got drooping response in the high treble etc. You can create an FR compensation file for it so to avoid such contribution. All FFT software have that corrective menu. Here is an example. You can zoom in the scaling when live of course, this is just a screen capture. Saved from a fast check on a single JFET input older simplistic perfboard build I think.

Attachments

• FR+THD_Example.gif
    FR+THD_Example.gif
    26.5 KB · Views: 319