Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2010, 01:06 PM   #3891
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Gysi View Post
Back to the preamps:

The "Original Le Pacifique" clone is now working satifsfying with the V's and the new resistor values.

Thanks Salas
Franz
Bravo
Old 11th June 2010, 07:17 AM   #3892
Franz Gysi is offline Franz Gysi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Club Med

You triggered some thinking in my mind...

I checked again theoretically my choice, combination of TP16 Mk I (16.5g) with added 4g mass and DL103R.

Given the fact, that the compliance at 10Hz of the DL103R will be between 10 and 15 (and not 5 like the measured compliance at 100Hz), the combination looks imho good.

Actually, I have the following choice available:

- Technics 300MC: unsatisfying in practice (too low compliance?)

- Shure V15-III with replica stylus: unsatisfying in practice (too high compliance or minor quality replica stylus?). Bad tracking.

- Shure M75B Type 2: this is a underestimated gem! Correctly adjusted and also capacitive loaded it gives very good results. No wonder, Swiss broadcast used them on EMT930 (because of cost, it would have been to expensive, to replace MC's because of damaged cantilever). Good pragmatically choice, indeed!

I share your opinion regarding the Benz cartridges: very fine products. BUT: I decided for myself prefering conical styluses over eliptical or other exotic shapes.

Less hassle.

Franz

Last edited by Franz Gysi; 11th June 2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11th June 2010, 08:30 AM   #3893
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
nhinstruments
diyAudio Member

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Hi Franz

Why do you prefer conical tips ?
Old 11th June 2010, 11:23 AM   #3894
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Gysi View Post
Club Med

You triggered some thinking in my mind...

I checked again theoretically my choice, combination of TP16 Mk I (16.5g) with added 4g mass and DL103R.

Given the fact, that the compliance at 10Hz of the DL103R will be between 10 and 15 (and not 5 like the measured compliance at 100Hz), the combination looks imho good.

Actually, I have the following choice available:

- Technics 300MC: unsatisfying in practice (too low compliance?)

- Shure V15-III with replica stylus: unsatisfying in practice (too high compliance or minor quality replica stylus?). Bad tracking.

- Shure M75B Type 2: this is a underestimated gem! Correctly adjusted and also capacitive loaded it gives very good results. No wonder, Swiss broadcast used them on EMT930 (because of cost, it would have been to expensive, to replace MC's because of damaged cantilever). Good pragmatically choice, indeed!

I share your opinion regarding the Benz cartridges: very fine products. BUT: I decided for myself prefering conical styluses over eliptical or other exotic shapes.

Less hassle.

Franz

Hi Franz,

The problem with the combo TP16 is your high effective mass 16.5 so if you add more mass you are increasing the distance to get the best match, mine advice is that you must take off the 4gr mass added, another good idea but a very difficult is to take off the body plastic of Denon DL103R to get less mass, please let me know your subjective impressions with less mass?

Denon DL103R compliance at 10Hz isn't between 10 & 15, Salas & I both measured 17,5 so 8.5 FS so better if you calculate with a compliance at 10 Hz for the Denon DL103R of 17.5 so if you translate the compliance at 10Hz for the Denon DL160 will be aprox. more than x 3 so 30 or more.

Try the Technics 300MC with the 4gr mass add TP16 & let me know how works, teorical will be a good match?

The Benz Micro Ace Med was only an example of good match.

Felipe
Old 11th June 2010, 11:29 AM   #3895
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
Hi Franz

Why do you prefer conical tips ?
Hi Rcruz,

I'm not Franz but I mind more surface in contact between pick-up & LP

pick up conical: V
pick up elliptical: O

The underline is the LP surface so conicals go more down into the LP than ellipitcals.

Best,

Felipe
Old 11th June 2010, 02:33 PM   #3896
nhinstruments
diyAudio Member

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Now that is something new for me !!!

I have been listening to pickups for 40 yeras or so and I always experienced better detail retrieval from more expensive carts with special tips.

Now you made me doubt everything.... Maybe the benefits where in the special cantilevers and windings and not on the better tips ?

In my old days of the SP12, I surely detected better results just by replacing the stock conical stylus by an eliptical one Those where the happy days

Ricardo
Old 11th June 2010, 02:44 PM   #3897
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Hi R Cruz,
your listening impression is correct. Don't doubt yourself.

One of the reason for changing from conical tip to elliptical and other similar breeds was to get the tip out of the grunge in the bottom of the groove.
Merlin's stated advantage of the conical is arguably why we should not use a conical tip.

I am aware of some other claimed advantages of the special tips.

Longer contact radius resulting in less wear of the tip and groove.

Narrower side radius resulting in the ability to follow higher frequency information.
This same narrower radius also reduces pinch up as the frequency rises. This pinch up adds stereo information that is not part of the cut groove. It is out of phase information that detracts from the real stereo picture.

Larger bottom radius to lift the tip away from the debris.

The Big disadvantage of the elliptical tips is the need for much more accurate setting up to get the two contact strips/lines to match the cutting edges of the groove blade.
Old 11th June 2010, 02:48 PM   #3898
nhinstruments
diyAudio Member

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Thank you Andrew.... Now I know I was correct after all
Old 11th June 2010, 02:51 PM   #3899
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
Thank you Andrew.... Now I know I was correct after all
Wich one?
Old 11th June 2010, 02:55 PM   #3900
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

R Cruz,
If you were to deliberately set up an elliptical style tip so that it is seriously misaligned, then you might find that in comparison to a correctly set up conical that the conical sounds better.

Would you call that a fair comparison?

If I was a conical tip salesman, that is probably the sort of trick I would resort to.

In fact I would choose the most difficult to set up tips just to prove that the conical sounds better.
Would you believe such a salesman, even though you heard the demonstration with your own ears? I would certainly be looking for independent corroboration.

Simplistic NJFET RIAAHide this!Advertise here!