Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes new longer listening session & your very good tweak/advice getting off the resistor & capacitor is a very huge upgrade, remember me near the same subjective than getting off the cap in the 1st stage but the cap in the 1st stage was still worse. Output caps Mundorf Silver Gold in oil are very very transparents so I can hear very easy the differences to god or bad.
;)
Hi Merlin

I do not have caps on the first and second stages and that is surelly the way it sounds better... Any cap there leaves a heavy signature.

I guess it would be even better to try no cap on the buffer... but in that case, in order to avoid the buffer starving the previous stages, it would be better to use another shunt only for this.

PS:

Are you using a balanced riaa ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Merlin

I do not have caps on the first and second stages and that is surelly the way it sounds better... Any cap there leaves a heavy signature.

I guess it would be even better to try no cap on the buffer... but in that case, in order to avoid the buffer starving the previous stages, it would be better to use another shunt only for this.

PS:

Are you using a balanced riaa ?

Lytics caps are evils for good sound.

That's will be a solution but it's a little expensive one shunt reg + psu caps & tx only for the buffer.

I'm using SE RIAA post 2795 page 280

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Wich gain have now the schematic I'm using without C10 4700uF, R9 100R (jumper) & C5 470uF?

150821d1261241528-simplistic-njfet-riaa-lowmc63.gif

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is a chart that shows its relationship trend to ID (if ID=IDSS when Rs=0 amounts to the same) in most Toshiba low noise JFETs data sheets. We have referred before here, but I remind for K170.

Attachments

• K170miliSiemensChart.gif
    K170miliSiemensChart.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 270
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi,
I can understand why you have disabled R9 & C5 when using a quiet and well regulated supply for V1.

I cannot understand why you need to disable/remove C10. Could you explain?

Hi Andrew

I built a 57dB machine and used C10 (4700u) to get it to 61dB but I clearly heard a diffused/boxed sound probably coming from the EL cap signature.

IMO the first stage jfet source is determinant to the overall low noise and definition. I did not like the cap there.

I remenber Merlin did not like the sound with the cap there also.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
There is a chart that shows its relationship trend to ID (if ID=IDSS when Rs=0 amounts to the same) in most Toshiba low noise JFETs data sheets. We have referred before here, but I remind for K170.

Hi Salas

From that chart we might deduce a higher Idss jfet has higher transcondutance.

A higher transcondutance means more Volt/current amplification potential right ?

If so, why not use only high Idss jfets instead of the average 8.5mA you calculated ?