Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2019, 09:30 PM   #17431
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcwc View Post
Is it better to get a single 2x36V transformer or two 2x18V transformers for the phono preamp?
You can still do a good job with single core 32V+32V like this one: Antek AS-0532
Because we have learned that it will give circa 45V rectified DC on average American mains. Each 32V secondary to each raw DC board's AC input.
Old 24th March 2019, 02:21 PM   #17432
exw9 is offline exw9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Works either with 40dB or 43dB gain setting. Depending on the total gain of the full chain of components, including the loudspeakers sensitivity, it may feel like it could use the extra 3dB or not. See about the Nagaoka MP-150 as well.

awesome, thanks for the recommendations! a new cart just made my shortlist of upgrades, probably the denon dl-110.
Old 24th March 2019, 02:30 PM   #17433
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
See about the Nagaoka MP-150 as well.
This guy loves it. He is fun to watch.

YouTube
Old 24th March 2019, 02:50 PM   #17434
exw9 is offline exw9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
This guy loves it. He is fun to watch.

YouTube
That was really fun to watch his enthusiasm is infectious
Old 24th March 2019, 03:22 PM   #17435
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
It has two practical advantages over the Denon. Higher output and a replaceable stylus. High output is good on high sens speakers. Not to crank the phono gain or the vol pot and bring up the system's noise floor. In general the DL-110 is velvety, the MP-150 is heftier sounding and more resolving.
Old 24th March 2019, 09:25 PM   #17436
fmena is online now fmena  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yet another successful Simplistic NJFET RIAA build with PSU in a separate box connected via umbilical . Will try the Ultra BIB later when time permits. Everything went well and have essentially no hum unless I put my ears to the speakers. I have it configured for approx 40db with a 3440 MC cinemag step up for my DL103r. ...... have not played with loading resistors yet and I have other carts to play with as well (AT33Sa and SPu Meister Silver mkii). TT is a Garrard 401, Grovemaster arm, preamp is Salas 6v6 and speakers are onken altec 414 with altec 802's crossed at 3000 if memory serves.

My system has been down for about 2 years as "life" got in the way and just fired it up today. The system looks ugly as sin but it sounds really great. I and am super happy the hum is not there as was the case in my DIY Peter Daniels the Phono-Stage 47-phonoclone. Never could get that one right ... must have done something wrong....oh well.

One thing I have noticed is that I get feed-back when volume is high. Never had that before... will investigate more later. Lots of nice detail and tone I really notice the difference with good and bad recordings. I'm sure things will get even better when I play more music and the electronics settle after being off for so long.

A big thank you to Salas and Tea-Bag for making this possible.

I have one more month to listen to records before the basement gets re-done and i have to dismantle and remove the stereo until it is finished and remodeled. That will take a lot of time.

Hans Theessink & Terry Evans Feat. Ry Cooder ‎– Delta Time sounds phenominal.
Old 24th March 2019, 11:51 PM   #17437
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Hey, congratulations! What value is the 6V6's input pot, in other words its input impedance? Maybe the phono's output caps could be selected in smaller value for making a better subsonic filter to the line preamp. Big sensitive speakers can seriously vibrate the space. Especially when standing waves are present. The 6V6 which is microphonic enough or the TT's arm could probably pick that. Nice to know it plays well in your system. Ugly looking lovely sounding system pics are as welcome as any by the way
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #17438
fmena is online now fmena  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks Salas. I'm pretty sure the 6v6 input is 100K .. will double check. I've changed the supports for the turntable and speakers and it is helping a lot. I will also look into re-arranging items on my rather large table.... easy stuff first.... really liking the sound and if I can I don't want to change anything.....yet ... famous last words

You guys are fantastic.

Simplistic NJFET RIAAHide this!Advertise here!