Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #17411
Hikari1 is online now Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Good screening for sensitive circuits in traditional diy fashion comes with dead bug style construction on a raw board's copper back housed in a tin can.

I prefer direct high gain input where hum and buzz problems can be solved without a step up transformer.
I think some of the problem with this is my turntable, a Rega. It has no separate ground wire and I was using the step up as dual mono (2 battery packs). The only way it was quiet was if I tied the Left and Right RCA grounds together.

Also, I experienced a strange loud BUZZ when I my hand was about one inch away from the record on the platter...Not touching, just hand above platter.
Old Today, 12:08 AM   #17412
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
Is there continuity between metal parts of your TT and its signal cable ground (?) someone would have wondered
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #17413
escucalin is offline escucalin
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Good screening for sensitive circuits in traditional diy fashion comes with dead bug style construction on a raw board's copper back housed in a tin can.

I prefer direct high gain input where hum and buzz problems can be solved without a step up transformer.

Hello Salas,

I was contemplating the same these days ; and started by acquiring tined steel boxes(1/chanel) composed by top and bottom plate and moving both gain stages in there. The main drawback is the ridiculously large inter-stage 100n russian mica capacitor that is at this point an antenna for 50Hz hum.

How one solves that ? a Polypropylene capacitor is linear enough at that point (anyone compared different builds with different interstages? R-Cruz maybe ?)

My status: In process of finding 100n mica's that are comparable in size to a jfet so all the stages except buffer to fit in a 3cm/5cm shielded enclosure(but it seems impossible).

Last edited by escucalin; Today at 11:21 AM. Reason: adding the question :)
Old Today, 12:44 PM   #17414
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Simplistic NJFET RIAA
If the big Soviet era cap has a metal shell see if you can scratch it somewhere and put solder on to run a wire from it to a ground point.
Old Today, 01:33 PM   #17415
escucalin is offline escucalin
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If the big Soviet era cap has a metal shell see if you can scratch it somewhere and put solder on to run a wire from it to a ground point.

is aluminium

and funny you mentioned it; i managed to create a soldering point using a 22000uF @35V and some thin copper wire discharging it repeatedly in a pad like area

It seemed too much of a improvisation to mention or use it.

But after a couple of hour seeking an alternative; incorporating it seems a better option. But i will build a steel enclosure for it ; aluminium is worth nothing when it comes to shielding.

Cheers.

P.S So no comparison to just use a different capacitor or none ?

Simplistic NJFET RIAAHide this!Advertise here!