Kofi Annan in: "Givin' a Budget 'Table!"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You DIYAudioers may not be aware, but Kofi loves giving. Mostly, receiving is better on account of you get stuff for nothing except some knee-jerk "Thanks!" you say without thinking about it, but the giving... he loves that too.

So, Kofi's currently shopping for a turntable that would probably be in the $200 - $300 range to best fit the wallet (Kofi's not THAT into giving) and here are some considerations:

- Technics SL-1200 MkII (a little outside the range, even for used, but I've heard good things)

- Denon DP-40 / DP-2000 (They look cool, but I don't know how they sound)

- Used entry-level Rega

- Used / New entry-level Pro-ject

The receiver in this case just wants to play basic vinyl, but I thought I could stretch a little and get something that could be upgraded or up-traded later.

Need some advice. Got some? Please give.

Thanks (not the knee-jerk kind of "Thanks", the real kind).

Kofi

this is how it all begins:devilr: Why not buy an old lenco(a l78 or l75) and put a half decent cartridge in it and then you have got endless tweakability and the real ponential for ending up with a true high end deck. Check out lencolovers.com and have a read. Hope your well Kofi and goodluck
cheers fergs

Kofi,

You can easily find the 1200 in the ~$200 - 250 range. I could open craigslist here and take my pick from at least four. It's a decent turntable that makes some people go gaga. I had one for 10+ years and I felt that the Thoren TD160 was far more musical.

Finding a used Rega in that range is gonna be tough, but the Project might be doable. They're decent decks, but I think you can do better in that range.

How do you plan on supporting this turntable? Right now, I have hardwood floors and no plans on putting in a wall shelf. That means I must have a suspended turntable.

You'll want to save at least $50 in your budget for a cartridge. The Grado black and AT 120 are decent in that price range.

well, (in my best Cheshire cat smirk)...

I just bought a Roksan Xerxes (original series, 1985-91) for the wopping sum of $180, including shipping. It needed a little work, but so far have less than $200 into it. The arm that is to be installed onto it is $500, and a reasonable cartridge will cost $80-$100....

but a really "cheap version" might include a DIY tone arm, a decent turntable , and the required cartridge. If at all handy I am sure you can easily end up with something that actually plays music...

Technics SL1200 or similar (the 1100, 1300 series, etc) are bullet proof. Add a good cartridge to one of those , and you may very well be quite satisfied. Or find a used Systemdek, etc.

I know I lucked completely out with the Xerxes, but some deals can be still be had on the Internet. It is just if you are willing to take a chance on them that's all. I was with the Roksan, because the plinth, dust cover and bearing are worth more than the asking price of the turntable. As it turns out with a few hours work the turntable is working perfectly (speed is 33.2 rpm and 45.0 rpm --checked with a laser tachometer). As per usual with Roksan, the plinth has some "sag" but much less than the 2mm "threshold" that indicates a worn out or damaged top plinth.

Kofi, I'll hunt around to see if I can find something for you at a good price (but you may have to be willing to take a little risk to get a great table for the kind of $$ we're talking about here....).

stew

Kofi, also....

email me if you like. For the cost of shipping I'll give you a turntable. I completely missed the "reciever" end of the post. You're looking to acquire a turntable to give to someone else so that they can enjoy vinyl again....good on you.

I'd gladly send along something to do that ....

Wow, Nanook, that looks like a great table and you've made me a very generous offer. Thanks so much!

Unfortunately, it's now time for me to admit that I have already purchased a turntable. Mrs. Annan got into hurry-up mode and I had to make a quick decision. I opted for the convenient, albeit not so hi-fi Denon DP-300F.

It's not going to light the world on fire, but I got a new one for a song ($230US) and it prevents me from having to build a separate phono preamp for now. There was some question about whether he would appreciate a better used table, so I succumbed to pressure and got a new 'table that was in the price range required.

Thanks for all your assistance in this. I'm still pretty tempted to buy that Denon you referenced, however...

Kofi

Kofi...

no problems. It wasn't my table, but one for sale . I have a few tables I should just clear outta my house, 'cause Mrs. Nanook is tired of looking at them all (and stumbling/walking over them all in our basement).

Kenwood/Kencraft DD
Yamaha DD P751
2 Yamaha belt drives, PF1000, and P450
some Duals (including a f%*!ked up CS5000--for parts)
an old Garrard zero-100 (aluminium plinth!)
a couple of Radio Shacks
and on and on.

Hmmm, maybe I should have a "garage sale" here at diyAudio...

I've got some receivers too! And some SCHP1001 Playstations to boot.
(this is not a "for sale ad"!)

stew

Re: Kofi, have a look here...

Nanook said:

Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the Denon DP1200? My Technics sl1500 is acting up again and I am sick of fighting with it, I need a budget replacement as I haven't the funds (otherwise the technics would have been replaced instead of repaired the first time). Also, is that add in US currency or Canadian?

-Justin (a young newly converted record lover)

I've never owned ...

any Denon tables. It was more so in response top Kofi's inquiries, and the fact that I had found one quite easily on the 'net. For a fairly low price of CAD $170.
Denon DDs do have a solid reputation though. And the DP1200 looks good to boot.I'd have to do further investigations.

Micro Seikis also have a strong following (as do the Technics, as you know). Kenwoods also have a pretty dedicated following and you might do a lot worse than the KD500 DD tables. (I own a "Kencraft" by Kenwood which actually sounds quite nice. Wooden plinth....There are the occasional "lost DDs" out there that are quite good, but nobody wants them--like the Yamaha P751).

You might want to have a look here for some comments and ideas regarding some direct drives.

Hope that helps. As stated, I own a few direct drives. One of the "lost DDs" that I personally have owned (and have wanted another ) is the Akai AP306. It was built like a tank, and sounded pretty decent, and nobody seems to want them. There's an Akai AP207 on ebay for $50. with a little work it could be a n inbteresting table. A little high priced though.

Re: despotic931....

Nanook said:
have a look here
at this Hitach, arm appears to be a Jelco (similar to Sumiko premiere MMT if not exactly the same and currently a few hundred $$$ by itself.)

Thanks Nanook! Unfortunately I've been super busy with work and wasn't able to check this thread until the auction ended with a buy it now.

I think that the biggest problem I have, being new to records, is that I don't know what's good and what's not. Eventually I want to save for a Rega P2 or P3, however that's a long ways off as I am basically building a system from scratch at the moment. I know the ARXA/XB is a highly recommended starter turntable, but they just seem overpriced for what they are.

-Justin

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: despotic931....

despotic931 said:

Thanks Nanook! Unfortunately I've been super busy with work and wasn't able to check this thread until the auction ended with a buy it now.

I think that the biggest problem I have, being new to records, is that I don't know what's good and what's not. Eventually I want to save for a Rega P2 or P3, however that's a long ways off as I am basically building a system from scratch at the moment. I know the ARXA/XB is a highly recommended starter turntable, but they just seem overpriced for what they are.

-Justin

AR-XA/XB do still occasionally show up in yard sales and flea markets for reasonable money. Properly set up even with a stock arm these tables will easily clobber most inexpensive Japanese belt and direct drive tables selling for a couple of hundred $$. I remember when I discovered this for myself 20 some yrs ago - just stunned at the difference between a $25 XA I had just purchased used (it was in great shape) and my relatively new and not cheap Mitsubishi DD..

There are a number of good Thorens for short money that are worth considering as well.

The best place of TT, arm and cartridge information as well as sage advice on the net is the vinyl engine here: http://www.vinylengine.com or directly to the forum here:
http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/index.php

Re: Re: Re: despotic931....

kevinkr said:

AR-XA/XB do still occasionally show up in yard sales and flea markets for reasonable money. Properly set up even with a stock arm these tables will easily clobber most inexpensive Japanese belt and direct drive tables selling for a couple of hundred $$. I remember when I discovered this for myself 20 some yrs ago - just stunned at the difference between a $25 XA I had just purchased used (it was in great shape) and my relatively new and not cheap Mitsubishi DD..

There are a number of good Thorens for short money that are worth considering as well.

The best place of TT, arm and cartridge information as well as sage advice on the net is the vinyl engine here: http://www.vinylengine.com or directly to the forum here:
http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/index.php

Thanks for the information! Any specific models of thorens I should watch out for?

despotic931, yup some Thorens...

I agree with kevinkr. The Thorens had been overlooked for years. Too bad because many of them are excellent tables.

125, 150, 145, 160, etc...

125 are a little $$$. Sometime decent 150 tts can be had even on epay at a reasonable price. Personally I'd go for a 150 (compact) or 160 if available ( the 145 is essentially a "semi auto" tt, cue arm. motor starts, auto lift at end of side).

Of course if $$ were no object a "Prestige" or a 124, would be great choices.

With a little work the 150, 160, 145 tables can be made to perform very well.

stew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.