New Stylus/Cartridge for Thorens TD166 Mk.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone give me any guidance on buying a new stylus/cartridge for my turntable?

The one that's in it is made by Ortofon but I couldn't say what model number or anything. (Although if it's important I could look at it when I get home as I assume it's on there somewhere.)

It was the one I bought with the turntable, though, so it's donkey's years old & the sound is massively biased to the left speaker so I'd like to set it up from scratch again. I figure if I'm gonna go to the trouble of setting the thing up again with the new drive belt I bought recently, I may as well do the job properly & change the stylus/cartridge too. (I'm not sure whether I need to change both or whether a new needle would do the trick.)

So I'm looking for guidance as to suitable components that I can get from somewhere in the UK (preferably London so that I can stop by but that's not essential).

Unless the best recommendations are otherwise.

I also wonder whether it's worth the trouble of getting some of that DeOxit stuff, too, as the connectors might need a bit of work.

Thanks.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Some old ortofons had the bad habit of having a bad channel suddenly and out of the blue.
I owned two in a row.
Buying a new stylus for it might be useless until you know for sure if your cartridge is working fine.

As for a replacement, do a little search on the forum, I recall a thread discussing this.

/Hugo

Netlist said:
Some old ortofons had the bad habit of having a bad channel suddenly and out of the blue.
I owned two in a row.
Buying a new stylus for it might be useless until you know for sure if your cartridge is working fine.

As for a replacement, do a little search on the forum, I recall a thread discussing this.

/Hugo

Thanks, I'll have a look around.

It's a bit "chicken & egg" though, isn't it? I mean, presumably I won't know if the cartridge has gone bad until I replace the stylus & see if it works?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Why risk it... Just get a new cartridge, the difference in cost between a replacement stylus and the whole cartridge it goes with is generally not great with standard types. Plus there has been some evolution since that cartridge was made.

Ortofon, Goldering, Benz, Shelter, and Grado all make eminently suitable cartridges for your table.

kevinkr said:
Why risk it... Just get a new cartridge, the difference in cost between a replacement stylus and the whole cartridge it goes with is generally not great with standard types. Plus there has been some evolution since that cartridge was made.

Ortofon, Goldering, Benz, Shelter, and Grado all make eminently suitable cartridges for your table.

Thanks. I've kinda blown that by jumping in & ordering a new stylus already.

Of course, now I've gone & mislaid the replacement belts I bought so it's all on hold again!

D'oh!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.