Another DIY Tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was interested in the Well Tempered tone arm and thought it would make an interesting project. I decided to make a "proof of concept" version first. I used an old golf shaft for the arm and the outer barrel from a WBT knock off RCA connecter. The counter weight is from a Rega P2 and the head shell from some Sony. I got some silver plated copper wire with teflon insultor off ebay. The most expesive thing were the Cardas cartridge clips. As you can see I used to compases for the support. This actually works really well, profiding all the adjustments needed for any cartridge. The arm board is delrin as is the block that the compases are mounted on. I used a plumbing end cap for the fluid well and got the damping fluid as a sample from Dow Corning. Finally I filled the arm with sand for damping. The effective length is 10.6 inches. All this sits on an older P2. How does is sound, well I was shocked to say the least. I have not made any move to build another one as I originally expected. My test version works that good. I use a Rega Elys II (much better then the original) into a BAT VK3i with phono board. I have owned several Regas, a Scout and used many cartridges with all of them. This rig holds up to all. It funny how sometimes in DYI things just work. I have had many projects not work out. Without the money to make many prototypes etc, it just come down to luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.