The build starts. (DIY Turntable)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have started my DIY turntable. I have some pictures of the platter below. Enjoy!

This is the platter fresh off the CNC machine. It needs to get turned for smoothness. I wrote the G-Code.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is the Motor pod. I don't have enough experience to turn this piece on a lathe so my next door neighbor did it for me in his machine shop. It needs to be polished and sent to be anodized black.

Next is the plinth which will be CNC'ed. I have to wait a bit until the Haas CNC is free. Until then I have plenty to do including selecting a tone arm. Any suggestions on an arm $2000 or below?

I now have an arm

Gentlemen,

My lovely wife wanted to surprise me with a "I missed you" present after I came home from a business trip. She went to a local audio store while I was gone and the store happened to be an SME dealer. The salesmen talked her into purchasing an SME IV tone arm for a pretty good penny. I don't want you all to think I am grateful but SME would not have been my first choice. I gave her a big kiss and graciously accepted the gift and it will be mounted on the table when finished. I am very lucky to have married a gal that thinks I am really special.

platter

hi kilowattski , your platter is very nice. what are 12 ring under the platter, is it led? i am building diy tt. i spoken acrylic producer my local. for laser cutting to my project. the laser cutting processing only 2 cm thickness acrylic. i think 3 , 2 cn thickness platter and i will construct with acrylic glue. it will be 6cm total. best regards

Re: platter

yildiray35 said:
hi kilowattski , your platter is very nice. what are 12 ring under the platter, is it led? i am building diy tt. i spoken acrylic producer my local. for laser cutting to my project. the laser cutting processing only 2 cm thickness acrylic. i think 3 , 2 cn thickness platter and i will construct with acrylic glue. it will be 6cm total. best regards

Ahhhh, the 12 rings are indexers for (12) 2" round by 2" long brass weights for speed stabilization (the flywheel effect)

Re: I now have an arm

kilowattski said:
Gentlemen,

My lovely wife wanted to surprise me with a "I missed you" present after I came home from a business trip. She went to a local audio store while I was gone and the store happened to be an SME dealer. The salesmen talked her into purchasing an SME IV tone arm for a pretty good penny. I don't want you all to think I am grateful but SME would not have been my first choice. I gave her a big kiss and graciously accepted the gift and it will be mounted on the table when finished. I am very lucky to have married a gal that thinks I am really special.

I might be able to help you with a blueprint for the SME tonearm mounting scheme. I asked SME to send me detailed drawings of their tonearm bolt hole pattern and cutout since I was working on a turntable project that may use an SME tonearm. They sent me the drawings within a few days, very nice company to deal with. I made a couple of armboards but haven't bought an SME arm as of yet.
I see your project is coming along nicely. ;)

kilowattski, that is absolutely lovely work!
Would you ever consider making another platter?
I have a spare Teres bearing that I've been looking at for a long time and wondering what to do with.

Have you decided on an arm yet? How about a swop for one of these :)

rossarm4web.jpg

from here: http://www.audiomods/gallery.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.