semi-automatic turntable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I look at all the "lower" priced new turntables - Goldring, MMF, Pro-Ject - one thing kills it for me - all manual operations. Sorry, but I've been down this road before, and I don't want to spend $$$ just to have me falling asleep and the have the stylus grinding into that last groove all night long. ;)

Given I have the requirement that I need at a minimum the tonearm to automatically return after a side has played, could anyone please give me some recommendations on which turntable to purchase?

Will be using an outboard phono preamp (like the Bellari VP129).

thanks
c

You will likely have to go vintage and there is nothing wrong with that. Check out eBay, Craigslist, Audiogone and you may find a high performing turntable that is auto lift to auto return.

There were also those add on devices that you may still find to pick up the tonearm at the end of play. Check around for those to be added to any new manual tables you'd be interested in.

Re: Denon DP300F?

djfake said:
I was recommended the Denon DP300F? Any opinions on this turntable?

thanks
c

It's ok if you feel you need a new automatic turntable. IMO you'd be better off looking for a good used (vintage) turntable with some automatic features and for a similar price to the DP300F.

Most vintage table will go for a lower price and if you shop carefully will work properly and give you many years of life.

But if you want an affordable new turntable the DP300F will be ok.

Thanks. I'd actually like two turntables (one vintage, one new).

I'm looking at an Onkyo CP1400A "old" turntable, belt-drive. Price isn't cheap, but it's mint condition. I think this was a "decent" turntable in it's day. I currently have two old direct drives, a Technics (which is crap) and a JVC which I rather like. The JVC however has mechanical problems, I have it on a pile of shipping styrofoam to lessen vibration.

I've also been recommended a new Thorens TD158. Runs about $350.

Any opinions?

c

Maybe one of the older Duals ?Thorens 158,170,190 too.IMO the Thorens 240 could be the best automatic turntable today.It comes with a basic cartridge to start with,as all Thorens by the way.The Bellari is a really nice phono stage that will ask you for the best turntable you can afford.If I were in your place I would consider the Thorens TD240.Very well made and sounds great too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.